It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:20 am 

First time vegetable gardener here :D

My cucumbers are (have been, actually) going nuts! I have several that appear to be matured, but they also still appear to be pretty solidly
attached to the vine. How will I know when they are ready? The flower has dropped off the end of several of them.

Also, my cilantro is getting realy, really tall and little white flowers are blooming at the top. Is this good? Do I need to "prune" it or something?

Thanks for any assistance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:26 am 

I'm not positive about the cucumbers, but I know that depending on what you want to do with them (pickling etc), people pick them when they are tiny or huge. I don't think it would be a problem for you to pick them now. I think it's probably better to pick them when they not huge because the seeds can be very large and sort of tough.

Regarding the cilantro, it would be good to cut ir back a bit. It's just going to seed. Some people believe that going to seed actually changes the flavor of the herb ever so slightly. I would cut it back a bit but save what you cut to use.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:32 am 

Thanks, Sandi - I thought maybe the cilantro would need some trimming.

I'm going to pick 2 of the cucumbers today - yay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:59 pm 

I've found cukes are much tastier if you pick them small. In fact, if they still have the bumpy things on them, you can rub them off with your fingers and eat them, skin and all. As they get bigger the inside gets a little juicy, and the skin is inedible.

I also read in a book that if the fruits mature then the plant may shut down for some time, thinking it's done its job (reproduced, that is). If you pick them before they mature, the plant will keep producing.

I'm jealous. I have no cukes. Vines are doing fine, but no fruit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:31 am 

I let about half of my cilantro go to seed and cut back the other half to keep using in the kitchen. By letting them go to seed I have plenty of corriander (what the seed is called) to use over the winter plus plenty of seed to plant again in the fall and spring. Try it" :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:45 pm 

:D Those cucumbers were sooooooooo good! :D

I planted 4 plants and they are going like crazy. I've picked about 7 so far (including one that I overlooked a few days ago - they like to hide!) and there are many, many more babies growing.

I did trim the cilantro down and am trying my hand at drying. Thanks for the tip on the seeds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:23 pm 

Cucumbers are very very good at hiding, and once they get to that near-perfect stage for picking, it has to be watched closely. There are different varieties--the ones for pickling (small) are my favorite as I find their flavor to be great. If you planted that type, then be sure and pick before they ever ever show any signs of yellow.

I was given a cold brine type recipe last year for cucumbers that is sort of like bread and butter --only cripier. The harvesting of cucumbers is one of my all time favorites. I've found spraying weekly with Garrett Juice they perform extremely well and produce long into the summer. - Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:37 am 

the dried leaves dont store very well. they tend to lose flavor rather quickly, so if you want a hint of the taste they do ok. however i've found that using the seeds does just as well if not better.
unklmike