It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:48 am 

My in-laws have 80 acres of land and have very large areas of poison ivy.
Does anyone have any organic way of getting rid of this....I don't think it is feasible for them to dig it all up. She has tried spraying with vinegar but I think there is just too much of it. Any Advice???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:29 pm 

Spraying vinegar herbicides works if the poison ivy is cut off first and the spray is consistantly applied on the young regrowth as it re-emerges. The other sollution is goats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:18 pm 

Lots of goats. Too many for the area will work best. You have to keep away from the goats for at least a week after they've eaten the poison ivy. It will still be on their faces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:04 pm 

I hear cutting it to the ground repeatedly and frequently will eventually starve the root system but it increases you chances of exposing yourself to the poison ivy oil. If you are going to do it yourself put on boots, pants, gloves and a long sleeve shirt. Take a long shower afterwards and suds up twice. Be sure to thoroughly wash the cloths you used. If you know you are sensitive to poison ivy see your doctor first and request an epi pen and other anaphylactic meds as well as weighing the health risks of doing it yourself and hiring a professional. If you break out in a rash that covers a surface area larger than your hand laid flat on the table see a physician. If you experience difficulty breathing, swallowing, or other signs of anaphylaxis call 911 or go to the emergency room.

Discaimer: I AM NOT A DOCTOR!!!!!!, follow the advice of your physician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:09 pm 

1/2 cup Orange Oil
1 gal 20% vinegar
1 tsp liquid soap

Mix above ingredients and spray on poison ivy leaves. If vine is in tree, cut the vine at base of tree, when it sprouts spray with mixture. Typically, poison ivy will sprout again after 1 application, but will not after the second application. Caution: be sure to clean your tools, hands and possibly clothes with Tecnu cleanser to remove the poison ivy oils.
NOTE that this mixture will kill any plant on which it is sprayed, not just poison ivy.
Also, 20% vinegar is very strong and you will want to protect your self, children and animals from fumes.

Recipe from Trisha Shirey at Lake Austin Spa and Resort

----
I got this from John at http://www.naturalgardeneraustin.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:28 pm 

Where does one get the 20%vinegar and the orange oil? I would really like to try this. I have some in my shade garden and am terribly allergic to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:28 pm 

Here in north Texas the local Lowes and feed stores have all the stuff. Since you in Alabama you may be in different market but you can still call around to your local Lowes and feed stores. You can also use 10 percent pickling vinager.