It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:31 am 

We live south of Fort Worth on 30.5 acres and seem to have the worst flea infestation ever. They are inside and out. We have tried everything we can and I am just about to the point of ripping out every square inch of carpet in our house. I don't know what else to do. We have put out nematodes in the yard, sprayed the house with DE and Orange Oil. I have even started giving my two cats showers every week. (That is fun) I can't sleep at night because they are everywhere.

PLEASE HHHHHHEEEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!

Thanks - any info would be extremely appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:25 pm 

I don't know very much about feline physiology..but when I had retired racing greyhounds (they don't tolerate ANY kind of pesticide!) I used boric acid around the house baseboards and the floor/wall vents, and my dogs got Sentinel once a month as heartworm and flea preventive. I also feed my dogs garlic and brewer's yeast that makes them taste ad to fleas.
Vacuum the carpets daily, and take the vacuum bags out after every vacuuming, dry the sheets and linens and towels on the highest temperature you can...will a cat tolerate a combing with a flea comb? If they do, you have a pan of hot soapy water to dip the comb in after each stroke...and keep the cats inside as much as you can.
Your veterinarian may be able to help you with any specific natural treatments for your cats. There are some holistic veterinarians in the Dallas area who have given me good ideas about treating fleas and flea allergies, and if you like, I will be happy to give you some names.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:15 pm 

Is boric acid safe to use in areas that pets have access to? I've been wanting to dust under our decks with it, but the information on the labels I've seen aren't clear (to me) on this.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:08 am 

I had no problems with the boric acid preparation with my dogs. All my critters live indoors most of the time, and they did tend to track the boric acid powder around a little bit. With cats, and with them grooming themselves and licking their paws as much as they do, I would ask my veterinarian.
I also buy a natural flea repellent at PetSmart that contains lavender and cedar oil (smells divine!), and I have also heard that cedar shavings will repel fleas.