It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Invasive weed/vine
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:30 pm 

Hello,

I don't have a photo yet, of this horrid weed. But, I'll post one up as soon as I can.

There is a vine that looks like an ivy plant growing around and thru (twisting around and everything) my shrubs. It is VERY invasive and I am having a really difficult time digging it up. Not only is it hard to sometimes tell where it ends, the roots are extremely deep. Also, it's light green in color.

Any idea what this is? Sorry, I know it's annoying without a picture! I'm just hoping someone has an instant reaction to this post :) .

If you know what it is..
1) What is it?
2) How can I prevent this mess in the future?! I have mulch around. Not helping much.

Thanks!
Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:16 pm 

Look up bindweed on the net for a picture. If it has thorns it may be smilex or greenbrier. There are no easy ways to get rid of either. Hand digging is the most productive because when you dig up the root you take the energy source away.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:16 am 

Welcome to my world, Stephanie!

I have a post almost exactly like yours in here somewhere. I have no idea what this stuff is, but it is amazingly hardy :roll: My vines have no spikes or flowers like the pictures I've seen of bindweed.

I've sprayed with diluted 20% vinegar and orange oil with very little success - a few leaves turned brown, but that's about it. I have dug and dug and dug up vines till I had blisters - have yet to find a root. Seems like all that does is spur new growth wherever the vine breaks off. I plan on continuing the battle with the vinegar, but the mixture seems to literally roll off the leaves. Sigh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:54 pm 

What is the leaf structure? One of my local nemesis is Virginia Creeper. I have dug and sprayed for 10 years. It laughs at me, and I laugh when Howard tells a listener that continuous cutting/digging at a plant will eventually kill the energy from the mother plant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:59 pm 

Hello,

I've looked up the picture of bindweed too. My horrid vine also lacks the spikes or white flowers. Although, I'm glad there are no spikes!
I dug and dug as well. No root! Although, I did see the ivy (in some spots) coming out of a thick wood vine?! Maybe it was my eyes crossing from all that digging! Seems like I can only get rid of what is above ground. Vinegar doesn't seem to be a solution for me either. I'll let you know if I come up with anything!

Thanks for the posts! I really appreciate both of them :)

Best,
Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:54 am 

Mr. Clean, the leaves look *just* like ivy - they are heart shaped but a very light green in color, yellow-green that deepens as the vine grows.

This vine is so invasive, I can't *imagine* that regular cutting/pulling would kill it off. You simply can't see all of it in one or two passes thru the yard - or rather, ot would take several days of intense searching out to find and cut every single little one that was sprouting up. Wugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:23 am 

AMG,

Looks like our belobved Ivy has the same plant structure :(.

Guess all we can do is pull and pull. Hopefully it will eventually kill it, but that seems so far in the future. ugh :(.

thanks for the insight, Mr. Clean.

Steph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:23 am 

AMG,

Looks like our belobved Ivy has the same plant structure :?

Guess all we can do is pull and pull. Hopefully it will eventually kill it, but that seems so far in the future. ugh :(.

thanks for the insight, Mr. Clean.

Steph

Post subject: SIck of vines
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:43 pm 

Stephanie,
It sounds like we are living parallel lives in our gardens dealing with this terrible WEED/VINE. I, too, have the heart-shaped demon killing clematis, forsythia, and anything else it can get its tentacles around. It seems to come out of the ground and I have no idea how to get rid of it! Someone told me that it comes from a root below & the best thing to do is mow over it as much as possible until it 'gives up'.
Should anyone else have more information about it, let me know!

MK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:38 pm 

Some success to report....

Yesterday, I sprayed w/20% vinegar (undiluted) with some orage oil & dish soap (I didn't measure - I'd estimate 1/8 cup oil, few teaspoons of soap). Within hours, most of the leaves were wilty & brown - YAY!

Unfortunately, not ALL of the leaves I sprayed wilted. I have NO idea why. I'll be spraying again when I get a chance. I think my non-success the last time I tried was because I left out the dish soap :oops:

Post subject: Unwanted vine
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:22 pm 

Well, I too am unfortunate enough to have this same light green sort of heart-shaped vine. It has killed my beautiful hollyhocks adorning the outside of my fence and will attack the sunflowers when they are up as it did last year. I swear, too, that pulling it up makes it multiply all the more. I did not try vinegar b/c it's all intwined in my desirable plants.
Maybe someone will come up w/something.
Plano Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:01 pm 

ugh... I know what you mean! I too have a weed/vine that grows about a 2 foot every week! It sprouts up all over my yard and come up in my shrubs... has totally taken over my trumpet vines.

Description: When mine first sprouts new stalks, they are red!! Also, at the end of each stalk, it has a poison-ivy, leaves of three at the end. It's not poison ivy though. The leaves on my vine have points. I wish I knew how to add a picture to the message board, cause I could take one with my digi. Would really like to know what this weed/vine is!!