It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:47 pm 

Two part question:

1.) Can red tip photenias be pruned as they grow to take on small tree shape. In other words, can the "limbs" be pruned off around the base to have them develop into a small tree rather than a big shrub? My goal is to provide a screening affect ABOVE the fence line, about 6 foot high and still leave the bottom area very open and airy.

2.) What other medium to fast growing shrubs could be treated in the same manner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:37 am 

You can do that. You will have to constantly clean off the trunk of growth as it come on the red tip. Another one that I have like that is Privet. The solid green type. Not the variegated type but it would work on that also. Just about any shrub that grows tall can be formed into a tree shape with the height that you desire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:49 pm 

It's working that way in my yard. I just wish I had something that was an evergreen screen like that that wasn't photinia. I'm not a fan. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:31 pm 

We have a screen of red tip photenias in our back yard. Last year when we moved in...they were touching the power lines (20-30ft tall). We tried trimming out the bottoms so that they would have growth just above the fence. Didn't work well. The problem was that the trunks quickly become too thick to just prune...unless you prune with a chain saw. At this point I'm considering gasoline and a lighter!

TE

Post subject: Photinias next to house
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:42 am 

This is my first post, and I need some advice. I have two very mature photinias against my house, about 1 1/2 feet from the foundation. I am planning to remove them in the fall, but I'm not sure if I can just cut them down and that's the end. I do not want to deal with "babies" sprouting up for years to come.

What do I do to ensure I get rid of them for good? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:19 pm 

Lisa,

You will have to continually deal with new growth unless you do something to get rid of the stump.

Read about Howard's stump removal procedure:

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=50

Post subject: Thank you, Suzan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:41 pm 

Thank you for the advice, Suzan, and the link. I look forward to reading up on what to do to take care of these photinias.

It's such a shame I have to get rid of them, but they are just not made for foundation plantings. Why, oh why, did somebody have to put them so close to the house? :cry:

And I also need to figure out what to plant in place of the photinias. Any advice for that?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:39 am 

Good luck with that Lisa. Photinias are routinely planted next to houses when they are meant to be kept as shrubs. But, they need constant maintenance to keep them from growing out of control. The people I bought my house from had planted photinias in the garden and let them grow to 20+ feet. So, I had to cut some down just to get some sun in my yard. I don't really care for them except that in the spring they have an abundance of blooms that smell great and the bees like them.

I think you should post your replacement question in the trees forum...you will get lots of good advise there:

http://dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:05 am 

Thank you, Suzan! I think photinias are amazing - these guys in my flower bed are only eight years old and are about 9 inches in trunk diameter. They have also been home to many different types of birds' nests since I've lived here - it makes me sad to see them go.