It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:33 pm 

No, it's not crabgrass, it's poa annua.

Crabgrass looks compleyely different and can quickly be found by searching the web for 'crabgrass.'

Here is a picture: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/D/W-GM-DISC-MP.001.html

Yes, the same controls will work on it too. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:42 pm 

DC, AMG, et al...

Blasted the areas w/ 10% vinegar / 1oz orange oil / 1oz molasses (per gallon) on Monday. All had turned nicely brown and dead by yesterday evening. A casual observer would think I had a bad case of brown patch, but the St. Aug is hardly touched at all. :wink:

I'll be following up w/ a heavy does of CGM this Saturday (between rain dances) to stop further poa germination this spring and kick the wilted St. Aug up a notch.

I tell ya, this poa is a real pain in the annua... :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:51 pm 

I found potassium bicarbonate at Marshall Grain for 15 bucks a pound. Or you can get 50 pounds for 150 bucks and split it amongs several of your best freinds. :)

Thinking seriously about buying a pound of this and adding ground cinnamon to it and seeing if that works on this poa annua. Getting REAL tired of pulling it every day.

christina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:04 pm 

Christina, what does the cinnamon do? :? Please reply as I am constantly learning (or trying to).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:22 pm 

I am just guessing, but I really think they add it to trigger the color change. You are supposed to watch it change to orange-yellow, from white powder, after you sprinkle it on wet weeds, so you know it's working correcty.

Straight pot. bicarb will do nothing when dry, and it's just a way for them to CYA with an easily seen indicator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:11 pm 

I think you are right on target Bill. I usually have two bottles with me in tow - one with a spray nozzle for water and the other with powder to kill the yuckies. Now, just to figure out how much cinnamon to add to the mix and I'll be good to go. I will say this tho - after spending about an hour a day pulling this poa from my yard I now only have to spend about ten minutes on this chore and if I pay attention and pull right at the base of the weed I usually do get the roots.

Christina

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:38 am 

Well, it's been 2 weeks since I did the vinegar/orange oil/molasses blast and then the heavy CGM followup a few days later. 95% of the d@mn stuff is gone now and most of the browned areas are completely green St. Aug. again! :P

I'm going to do heavy CGM again in mid-Sept -- I'm talking ~25lbs per 500 sq ft so the grass is noticeably coated yellow and the neighbors wonder what died in my yard! Then follow w/ same again in Jan instead of Feb. I think that ought to lick it for good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:25 am 

Wow that’s great Bill. I have been having allot of trouble with this stuff. I'll get to work using your regiment.