It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mulberry Tea?
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:18 pm 

I'm hearing that mulberry tea may help reduce high pressure... I figure its worth a try! Has anyone tried mulberry tea? Has anyone made it themselves from fresh leaves? Any suggestions or warnings for me? (I have a mulberry tree but have never made tea from anything but herbal tea bags or bulk dried teas. ) Thanks. Jodach

Post subject: Re: Mulberry Tea?
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:59 am 

jodach wrote:
I'm hearing that mulberry tea may help reduce high blood pressure... I figure its worth a try! Has anyone tried mulberry tea? Has anyone made it themselves from fresh leaves? Any suggestions or warnings for me?

I don't have any warnings or recent experience with mulberry leaf tea, but there seems to be good support for the claims made for mulberry tea, although mulberrry root bark apparently drew more attention in the past than did the leaves. Maybe someone on the forum who has Dr. Duke's books handy can add more information about the effects of mulberry tea. Much of the information about mulberry comes from Japan and China, mostly because mulberry leaf is a food source for silkworms. I suppose one question is whether our domestic fruiting mulberry trees contain the quantity of active ingredients, including GABA and deoxynojirimycin, that are present in the many Asian varieties. They probably do, but I don't know. Another question is how heat-sensitive the active ingredients in the leaves are. I don't have that information at hand, but it could affect how you prepare the tea or leaf extract. The Dirt Doctor's method of making tea from fresh leaves appears here:

<http://www.dirtdoctor.com/radio.php?id=336>

I've wanted to experiment with the effect that a foliar application of plant-sourced GABA has on stimulating growth in plants. One commercially available growth stimulant product lists GABA and L-glutamic acid, probably in the form of monosodium glutamate (MSG), as the active ingredients. As mulberry leaf contains GABA (pineapple is a good source of GABA also), I might try a drench or foliar spray of mulberry tea. If your tea doesn't suit you, you always could use it on your plants.

Here's a link to an FAO piece with typical information about mulberry uses:

http://www.fao.org/WAICENT/FAOINFO/AGRI ... achii2.htm