It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:59 am 

Just wondering..........can buy 20% vinegar at feed store for $13.00 per gallon. Can I cut that in half with water and have 2 gallons of 10% that will work just as good and be more economical? Mix with orange oil and soap too, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:15 am 

I don't know if you can do that are not, but I only pay $4.99 a gallon for 10% Vinegar so you won't really be saving any money.

I always hated mowing until it became MY yard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:18 pm 

farmwoman

For weed killing with the vinegar/orange oil/soap mixture, not much is needed so I'm not sure what the financial gain would be.

Not an attempt to hijack this thread...but, GENUINE_GM, where have you located 10% vinegar (aka Pickling vinegar)? I have searched high and low and high again to no avail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:56 am 

Green Mama's has it to, but it may not be true "pickling" vinegar. It is made by Natures Way (I think) and it works great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:11 pm 

Mr. Clean-I have also seen it at Redenta's in Arlington. I do believe it is 4.99 or 5.99 a gallon. They also have spray bottles of the 20%. It works great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:28 pm 

GENUINE_GM & Jim In Dallas

Thank you both. I haven't even looked at garden supply stores. Since it was for a food related project, I have restricted my search to food stores. I have probably reached right past it while reaching for the 20% variety.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:28 pm 

So, people.......are you telling me that 10% vinegar is just as good at killing the weeds as the 20% ? Sure would be cheaper. We have 20 acres here with a veggie garden 150' X 40'. The clover and more serious weeds are growing thru the fence and into the raised beds. Have mulched and hand pulled, but can't keep ahead with that much area. So I have to use a lot of organic weed killer. The horses keep the outside of the fence edged for me. Hoping that it will improve as the years go along, but this is a new garden, and I have so much work to do. It used to be a cow pasture, and we have ammended with tons of compost from Living Earth Tech in Rockwall and much of our own animal's composted manures. I know the end is in sight, but, for now, I must stamp out the dastardly villians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:56 am 

It sure will. I use 1 gallon of 10% Vinegar, 1 ounce of orange oil and 1/4 ounce of liquid soap to help it stick to the leaves. If you put it out in the morning hours you should start to see results after lunch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:23 am 

Hi Y'all
An update for 10% vinegar. Renata has 5% for about double the grocery store prices. Around $23 for gallon weed control, 10%, mixed with orange oil.

Green Mama's best! 10% @ $4.99/gal, 20%@$14.99 gal, $16.99 for 32 oz of orange oil. I skipped the 20% stuff.

Healthy Approach for 1 oz bottles of orange oil @ $3.50 each.

I only needed 1 gal, so got 10% vinegar from Green Mama's & Orange oil from Healthy Approach. Next year, will get the 32 oz Orange Oil and several gallons of 10% vinegar from Green Mama's and share with my neighbors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 10:59 pm 

You can 20% at Lowes in Kellar

Post subject: Vinegar
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:16 pm 

Hi Y'all 8) This topic is my sore spot. We keep hearing about 20%, which is a little dangerous to handle. Then there's 10%, at what? $5.00 a gallon. Of course, there's always the 5%, usually less than $2.00 at most stores. But - I went to H-E-B and found 9% for $1.99 a gallon. What's wrong with that? However, whether I use the 5% or the 9%, it does not do very well on weeds on the asphalt driveway - like everyone keeps telling me it should. Phooey! I now squirt the 5% directly on the weed and have to do it again tomorrow till the weed dies. When I try to direct squirt with 9%, the results are similar. Comments? :cry:

Post subject: Hello Again
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:24 pm 

I see the problem. There's too many forums/messages relating to vinegar. In another under "weeds" forum, they mention using vinegar that is "NOT" acidic. Must use natural vinegar. Now I know why it's so darn expensive. Phooey! Not for me! I make my own orange oil, sure wish I could make my own vinegar.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:29 pm 

I use the 20% vinegar from Lowes and I cut it in half with water. It works great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 10:39 am 

PennsyNut: vinegar is acetic acid. If it was not acidic, it would not be vinegar.

Post subject: Acetic?
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 7:01 pm 

Hi 8) Yes, vinegar is acetic. So then what's all the contriversy about? If 20% cut in half is 10%, why buy 20% at the prices being charged? If 10% is all that's required, why not buy the 9% at H-E-B for $1.99? What difference would 1% make? Now, I've also heard that 5% will kill the weeds. So, we're back to the original question. What is the BEST formula for killing weeds? Another thought. The "soap" is nothing more than a surfactant. Therefore, a drop or two should suffice. I've used 1 gal 5% vinegar, added 4 oz orange oil and 1/2 teaspoon soap and put it on weeds on an asphalt driveway. It does NOT work. I tried the same thing with the 9% and it DOES NOT work. So what does work? I have to go out there in this heat and use a weed eater to get those weeds that keep coming up through the asphalt. A lot of work! And as for the Subject - is there any significance between the so-called "natural" vinegar and the cheap store bought 5%? Is that not "natural"? If not, what is it? This whole thing is crazy! :cry: