It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:26 am 

I have a new 3 acre pond and need to know what I should plant around it and on the dam. It is 15.6 feet deep. Any help is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:50 am 

I've heard that tall fescue roots make an excellent soil retention mat and will hold the underlying soil together even during a flood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:56 pm 

Do not plant any trees on the dam and keep it mowed several times a year. Other than that there are as many choices as there are plants. What are you tying to accomplish, do you have livestock, is there a recharge source such as a well or are you going to let it evaporate a few feet in the summer.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:34 am 

There will be 3 llamas on the 27 acres and yes it will evaporate some during the summer and we will also be using some of it as irrigation. This is the 2nd pond we have built on the place and it is just north of Commerce texas
Thanks

Post subject: ponds
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:01 pm 

grasses, cat tails, etc The idea is that you want to filter the water as it goes into the pond. It is best to fence the pond off from the animals so they don't muck it with their feet and drop manure in it. Pump the water out for their drinking water.
Robert D Bard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 12:03 pm 

Good adds, Bob, I was headed in the same direction.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:00 pm 

I am not looking for a pond that I can see to the bottom of. I know of noone that is fencing off a 3 acre pond. Maybe this is an ideal situation but I cant fade that much more money and Ive talked to several farmers that say that is just crazy. More feedback is appreciated but sometimes this forum just goes to far and too many people try and act like pros on their lines of interest. All I wanted to know is what I should plant. It is no wonder that so many people have told me that they have tried to go organic but you guys make it sound so difficult to do. IT is so much easier and cheaper to just go buy the chemicals slap it on the lawn and be done for a year. It is green and there are no bugs. This website needs to become consumer friendly. There are only about 10 people that consistantly talk on this forum and I have been a member about 3-4 months. Ya'll need to make this easier and a slower process for people to convert over. You scare to many people away. I will still monitor this website but will no longer take part in the discussions. I will do my part for organics by the plan of neglect to use chems.
I hope someone forwards this to Howard dirt doctor Garrett

I would love to hear from him personally

Thanks
Rick Watts

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:20 pm 

carhoods wrote:
Any help is appreciated.

Seems you were asking for suggestions by posting this thread, carhoods. A few people took the time to give you some and I don't see that any of them tried to force anything on you or make this a confusing issue.

~Dave

Post subject: planting on ponds
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:50 am 

I asssumed you wanted the best ideas and we gave them to you. The worst people to get advise from are old timers that are still doing what grand pa did. That is one of the reasons that we have food today that is not fit to eat. Herbicides, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, neuro toxins, out gassing from plastics and styrene (packaging) that cause depression, cancer and early development in your girls and sexual disfunction in young boys. It is estimated that in 70 years men in the industrial countries will not be able to get their "women" pregnant.
It is obvious that you don't listen to Howard - where do you think we got the info to become advocates? Howard started this and the "few" that help on this site learned from him. I can assure you that everyone on this site that gives advise has read hundreds of books, talked to experts, and are in fact experts in their own right.
If you want to learn about ponds, I would suggest you buy a book "Salad Bar Beef" by Joel Salatin. You can purchase this from www.acresusa.com
If you think Howard is on your side then call him on Sunday morning on WBAP - 820 AM and ask. If you don't give a damn if your tadpoles have two tales and don't develop into frogs to eat you mosquitoes then call the other guy on KRLD.
I just fertilized 40 acres today with organic products so that he will not contaminate his beautiful ponds/lakes. His water has grass, trees, cat tails and the water is clean enough to swim in. I stopped for a few minutes on the back pond to watch the turtles swim and I watched the geese swim in the front pond.
What you want is grass on part of your pond if you can get it to grow, as the animals eat and destroy it and it dirt washes into the pond. You will have mucking in the shallow end and green slime floating on top of the water from the manure. I will just bet you can't wait to swim in your pond /lake.
Good luck,
Robert D Bard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:05 am 

I think it's worth taking a second look at the posts here. Carhoods, the suggestions you got were very good ones -- the folks here generally know what they're talking about, and they take a lot of time to help others through their posts. No one was trying to dictate to you, they were answering your question.

At the same time, carhoods has a good point about having to balance expense versus benefits. Take a look back at his posts -- he has 3 llamas on 27 acres with a 3 acre pond. In his shoes, I wouldn't dream of spending the money to fence off the pond, nor would I have any qualms at all about diving into the water on a hot summer day just because the llamas had direct access to the pond.

Just because something is the optimal organic way to do things doesn't make it the only safe, organic way. It is worth looking at people's specific situations to help figure out what makes sense for them, while still protecting the environment and everyone's health.

Judith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:15 am 

Thanks Judith

You made the point better than I could have myself
appreciate your point and the ability to look at different views. My grandmother taught me the organic way long before most had ever even thought about it. I never use chems unless it is a last option

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:38 pm 

I think that for the most part people here on these forums who do offer advice or answers people's questions make an effort to determine what their needs are so that they can provide more informative answers. By and large, people come here with questions that don't give enough background or information to give even a basic answer. Frequently sought after information has been put together in the form of FAQ's listing in the appropriate forum or layed out in the various sections of the dirtdoctor web site proper. Those two things don't come close to covering everything, so this is where this discussion forum comes into play.

I also see quite a bit of options given where possible so that those coming here seeking help can make their own choices to best suit their specific needs. Is every single bit of advice or information shared here perfect for everyone's unique situation? Absolutely not. That's where the discission portion of all of this should come into play so that people can come to some understanding and gain something of benefit.

The advice and help you've provided people here, carhoods has been great stuff. Why is it that you feel you need to stop that? If you see that there's something at work here that's "scaring people away" from organics then why not continue to be someone who helps by sharing some of your experience and knowledge with those who need it? My grandmother was the first exposure I had to organics too, but she died soon after and it was a number of years before I had the opportunity to examine it for myself. Were she still with us today, she'd be sharing her gardening wisdom with anyone who was kind enough to ask.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:15 am 

you are right. will keep reading and listening. thanks again