It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:46 am 

Grasshoppers have already turned a number of our Blue Queen Salvia to swiss cheese. The Striped Cucumber Beetles are making headway on the Oxeye Daisy.

In the past, for Grasshoppers I've tried, DE and Nolo Bait to no avail. Garlic pepper tea, DE and Praying Manits for the Beeltes, didn't work either.

The Grasshoppers while small in size right now, are large in number. I just dusted as many as I could find, as well as the soil with Pyrethrum. How does Pyrethrum work and how quickly?

I'm curious about the kaolin clay products I saw mentioned in a previous post. Where do I get it? How is it applied and what is the effect on the appearance and health of my plants?

Help me before I loose control of the garden, please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:00 pm 

You do not say where it is that you live. You can get the kaolin clay products at many places:

Business Directory of Organic Suppliers
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/businesstest.php

This should do the trick.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:37 pm 

Nolo bait works on the smaller grasshoppers & somewhat on the larger ones. The problem in my experience is the areas you don't treat or from your neighbors. Please do not use Pyrethrum! It is not safe, not on the organic program & usually laced with hazardous chemicals.

Kaolin clay http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2697&highlight=kaolin+clay works.

It makes your plants look a bit dusty but doesn't hurt them & provides sun burn protection also. Search the site & the discussion board for many of your answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:23 am 

KHWOZ wrote:
Please do not use Pyrethrum! It is not safe, not on the organic program & usually laced with hazardous chemicals.

Kaolin clay http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2697&highlight=kaolin+clay works.

It makes your plants look a bit dusty but doesn't hurt them & provides sun burn protection also. Search the site & the discussion board for many of your answers.

I have not found Kaolin in my local stores yet, when they have it in stock I'll use it. Although some Pyrethrum or Pyrethrum based products use chemical additives the brand I used does not. Ecozone Insect Powder is 100% Pyrethrum flowers. It has no PBO and no residual effect, in fact the manufacturer, Natural Products Inc, claims that UV renders it useless in about 36 hours, so it has a one time effect. Obviously not as effective as clay, but again, I have not found it (clay), but the grasshoppers have found me.

As far as the suitability for an organic program I've obviously been confused. I thought I heard Howard recommend Pyrethrum long ago. I've just read his opinion in the information section of this website and now realize his concerns. Given that I am using a product without PBO I'd imagine his concerns would be lessend, but I intend to heed his advice and discontinue the use of any Pyrethrum. Thank you for your concern.

I did get some DE this week and plan on applying that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:34 pm 

I may be mistaken, but I thought that the organic pesticide was pyrethrin, from the pyrethrin daisy, and that pyrethrum was a similar but non-organic pesticide. How about Rotenone? It's an organic pesticide. I've never used it, so I don't know what it is effective on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:43 pm 

I found the following. Hope you find it helpful! :wink:

To learn more about rotenone:
http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/rotenone.htm

Pyrethrin, Pyrethrum & Pyrethroids
Q: I am confused about the difference between pyrethrin, pyrethrum, and pyrethroids. Which one is natural?
Sam, Texas
A: You are not the only one confused. The names are all very similar. Pyrethrum powder comes from ground chrysanthemum flowers and contains the active ingredient pyrethrin, which kills many insects. A lot of people are allergic to pyrethrum, so use it with caution. Note also that cats are very sensitive to even low doses of pyrethrin. Read labels carefully to make sure that synthetic ingredients such as piperonyl butoxide aren’t added. Sesame seed oil is a much safer synergist than piperonyl butoxide. Pyrethroids are synthetic pesticides.

http://www.simpleliving.net/news/archives.asp?id=207

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach