It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Garlic-Pepper Tea
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:57 am 

I read Garlic-Pepper tea can kill/repel mosquitoes. How effective is this method? How often I have to spray the yard?

I am looking for non-toxic way to get rid of mosquitoes. I am currently using Mosquito Magnet Defender and it works somewhat in limited areas. But I am still getting bit.

I have eliminated all the standing water sources I can find. Use Mosquito Dunk in areas that water cannot be eliminated.

Any information regarding getting rid of mosquitoes would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:34 pm 

Here's what Howard says right here on his website under the "information center" tab. He also has some things to say about those misting systems too.

. Empty standing water where possible. Even small containers such as pot saucers, old tires and even soda bottles and cans hold enough water for mosquito breeding.

2. Treat water that cannot be emptied with gambusia fish or Bti (Bacillus thuringiensis 'Israelensis') products such as Bactimos Briquettes or Mosquito Dunks.

3. Homeowners can spray for temporary control adult mosquitoes withgarlic-pepper tea, orange oil pesticides such as Garden-Ville Auntie Fuego or citronella sprays such as Skeeter D'Feeter. Broadcast finely ground cedar granules where mosquitoes are a significant problem.

4. Use organic landscape management to encourage birds, bats, fish,dragonflies and other beneficial insects.

5. Use skin repellents that contain natural repellent herbs such asaloe vera, eucalyptus, tea tree oil, lavender, vanilla and citronella. Effective commercial products include Cactus Juice, vanilla and water, LiceBGone and Cedar-Cide. DEET products should not be used, especially on children - as is stated on the label.

6. Bug light devices do not work! They kill more beneficial insects than the pests. The new products that combine carbon dioxide with other attractants seem to help if the budget allows.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:07 pm 

Thanks for your info. It looks like Garlic-Pepper tea is a temperory solution. But how long will it last is my question. Will one spray lasts 2 to 3 weeks or just few hours? Has anyone have any practical experience of this spray?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:11 pm 

We have a farmhouse that has three porches and the mosquitos and wasps around the doors and on the ceilings were problems along with spiders. While I understand these are all beneficial insects, they were overwhelming when coming and going inside the house. I used Skeeter D'Feeter and also sprayed the orange oil on the boards of the porches and was amazed! The packaging said it would work for three weeks and it does. They both also smell very nice. - Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:30 pm 

That's great! Do you spray two products at the same time or one another after 3 weeks? You don't see any mosquitoes or get bit within 3 weeks after the spary?

Where do you buy these products by the way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:21 am 

I ordered by mail from the company below, but you might find the products locally.

http://www.agorganics.com/p.html?id=12

Here is what we did. We scrapped off with a brush all the little spider webs from the ceiling and washed off any muddobber mounds. After that washing dried we sprayed the entire porches top to bottom with the Skeeter D'Feeter. After that dried we then sprayed the Orange Guard (which HG has homemade recipes for this) all along the boards of the porch decks. No wasps, no mosquitos, no spiders. Three weeks to the day one spider began building another mound and we treated again. Very pleased with the results. - Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:50 am 

It sounds like it works very well to repel spiders. How about mosquitoes. Do you noticed or got bit by mosquitoes within 3 weeks of sprays?

I checked out AG Organics web site. They also have Orange Oil Concentrate product. Will that work the same way? I have a big lot therefore will need to spray a large area. Concentrate would be more cost effective for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:42 am 

We were extremely pleased at the reduction in mosquitos from spraying for three weeks. It also works on the yard as well. The planks on the porch are covering the bare ground underneath and of course with moisture-- that is a great breeding spot. It appears the Skeeter D'Feeter truly keeps them from the reproduction spray for three weeks. The only reason I added the orange guard was to allow a residual for spiders.

I was very happy with the results and hope you have the same success. - Susan

P.S. The Skeeter D'Feeter I purchased was in the form of a hose-end sprayer. This covers a very large area. Just another fyi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:20 am 

So for the purpose of getting rid of mosquitoes, Skeeter D'Feeter is all I need. No Orange Guard necessary.