It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: red tip photinia fungus
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:27 pm 

Anyone tried the baking soda remedy for the Entomosporium Leaf Spot fungus on red tip photinias?

I am implementing the sick tree treatment, but wanted to know if the baking soday treatment might be effective on a shorter term and give the bushes a leg up on the growing season.

"A righteous person who is wise resembles God: he never disciplines anyone in order to take vengeance upon a wrongdoing, but only so that the person may be set aright, or that others may be deterred."
-St Isaac of Syria

Post subject: red tip
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:29 pm 

I have now idea about soda, but last year we had 2 red tips try and die. I put organic fertilizer - garderville or Green Sense, some humate and a bunch of corn meal and they are looking great this year.
Robert D Bard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:58 pm 

I wasn't certain if mine were diseased--pretty sure, but not certain, and I trimmed back and sprayed with Garret Juice regularly last spring through fall. This spring the bottoms of the red-tips are full and they were blazing red all over. It just amazed me. Threw some cornmeal down around the base of the shrubs as well. What I could not figure out (by HGs book) was that they had these brilliant red leaves but also the berry looking thing --which I think is a representation of the Chinese version. So, I'm a little confused. Happy with the results of Garrett Juice and cornmeal. One of those hands-on incidents that gives you great confidence in organic gardening - Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:51 am 

Am interested to learn more about the "regular" spraying with Garrett Juice on Red Tip Photinias.......how often did you apply the spray? And how often did you apply the cornmeal.....more than one treatment?

We have had problems with photinias in the past, and another shrub appears to be in trouble, but I would love to save it 'cause it provides so much privacy to our backyard.

(This is a GREAT website.....I have learned so much!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 3:38 pm 

Sterlingtx,

I am going to have to guess at this --seems like I sprayed with Garrett Juice around four or five times and always very early in the morning. Really got the leaves covered and soaked the stems inside. The cornmeal, I know was two times. Did this from last spring to this past fall. It was so terrific to see the bottoms of the shrubs fill out this spring and they were beautiful. These are very large shrubs --about six feet tall.
I hope you have the same experience, it is just amazing. - Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:54 pm 

Thank you!! I'll give it a try!!
Sterling