It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:20 pm 

My husband and I just moved into a house in Seagoville, TX, and the prior owners had not cleaned any of the weeds and brush around the house for several years. My husband went out and hacked away bushes and cleared out about 6-8 inches of leaves, dead branches and decomposing growth. He found large bushes of poison oak, with thick stems, along with roots that seem to be everywhere! He rented a roto-tiller, and turned the dirt so he could plant grass, and now there seems to be little plants coming up. We want to plant a garden too around the fences, but first need to find a way to rid the yard of poison oak and other weeds, without hurting the new lawn that is starting to come up. My husband is highly allergic to the poison oak, and suffered for a month after clearing the weeds. WE NEED HELP!!!

Post subject: Poison Oak removal
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:50 am 

Hi Sue and welcome to the discussion group.

I'm going to move your post over to the Lawn Care forum as I feel you will get more visitors there to help you out.

If you pick up on someone's suggestion be sure to lets us know the results.
Title your post, TIP: Poison Oak That way others can find it later under Search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:25 pm 

Hi Sue,
Are goats a possibility? Maybe not, you didn't mention buying a farm, you mentioned a house.

If the poison oaks are cut to the ground, just watch them for regrowth. If you get some, spray the new growth with vinegar, the stronger the better. Pick a hot day for best results.

I use a 20% acidity vinegar. Grocery store vinegars are 5% acidity. This strong stuff is bad for your skin and will blind you if it gets into your eyes, but it sure knocks out the weeds in a hurry. To a gallon of vinegar I put in a couple ounces of orange oil and some liquid dish soap. Then I spray it full strength as a non-selective herbicide. Watch out for overspray on your other plants.

Anyway, every time you see new growth from the poison oak, spray it. By the way you cannot store the vinegar in a sprayer with metal parts. It will corrode them.