It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:04 pm 

Hello Everyone. I have a friend who ask me to come over and cut his grass. Upon arriving I found a fairly nice front yard, but his backyard was nothing ( and I mean nothing ) but weeds. Not a speck of grass everywhere. He wants me to till his backyard and just start over, but I know that we should probably try to just kill everything back there first. I know that he could just go down and by a commercial WEED KILLER from the store, but wanted to do something different ( Organic ) to kill all of the weeds. Again, I want to stress that there is no grass at all in his backyard, just a total infestation of weeds. It is terrible. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:19 pm 

One man's weeds is another man's nitrogen replensher. I might mow it low and plant as much clover as I could get in there. The hope would be that the clover would grow up and shade out the weeds before the end of the growing season. Clover will renovate the soil, if indeed it needs any renovating. The weeds are probably doing a great job as it is.

If you want to start making progress toward grass right away, I would scalp it down, apply a half inch or more of compost, and sod over the existing weeds. Sure you will get weeds back but if you take good care of the grass, usually the weeds will go away.

Is the homeowner committed to getting grass growing in the back? If not, no amount of your help will make it happen.