It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:47 am 

In the latest edition of "The Dirt Dr's Dirt", Howard Garrett stated that Afghan Pines are good temporary trees. Does anyone know why they are considered temporary trees? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:40 am 

I believe that it is because they are not long-lived in this area with our type of soil and weather.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:36 am 

We picked up a couple of them at the Parker County Farmer's Market earlier this year and planted them not far from the house and fairly close to the ginckos we planted. One of them is growin like mad and the other looks more or less like it did when we put it out. However, the latter pine was run over by a horse trailer soon after planting. They seem to be attractive trees, and the information I've found on them seemed to depict them as rather ideal for this area. No matter, anyway. We'll just plant more trees and take our chances every year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:44 pm 

Here's our two Afghan pines. I was mistaken, incidentally. The tree that got knocked by the horse trailer is the one with about four inches of new growth on top, while the other has remained more or less the same size as when we bought it. I could be mistaken, of course, as my perception is usually skewed. They were only five bucks a piece anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:06 pm 

Mugtoe,

I planted six in my back yard. Five of them took off like mad. They grew about two feet every year! The sixth one never grew at all.

David