It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:56 pm 

Hello:

Just curious about something....I just moved out to the Scurry (south of Kaufman, TX area) onto a long narrow 7 acres. I have a few things in mind for this lot, but none of them include the rather large collection of mesquite trees I have right in the middle of it. What is the most effective way to remove these? notsuh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:59 pm 

Large mesquite trees should be left alone. Cutting down or otherwise trying to destroy them causes the big problem of mesquite bushes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:15 pm 

I wish I could take them off your hands. I love mesquite trees, but our place is in a bottom land area and has rich soil with lots of clay, and the mesquites just don't seem to like the conditions much. They are beautiful if tended well with shaping and care. The biggest problem I've seen with them is the thorns. We have tried transplanting small mesquites and sprouting from seed, all to no avail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:42 pm 

What are you doing with the seven acres? Do you have mature trees or shruby ones?

Here are my oppinions about mesquite trees.

If you don't plan to do grazing I'd leave mature trees alone. I've heard from many sources that grazing animals help propogate seeds.

If you have shruby trees you may want to use a backhoe and dig them up. A bulldozer can do the same with large trees. Cutting them just stalls the inevitable since they will grow back as an ugly bush. Killing them with kindness does work but for acreage it is generally cost prohibitive.

Ok everyone but notsuh "close your eyes"!

My husband has been successful using a very powerful herbicide technique on the small shrub trees. I'm not a fan mind you but I have seen the results. PM me if you want to know more but I refuse to broadcast it.

Good luck with this complicated problem.

Post subject: Mesquite problem
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:32 am 

Much research has been done by Dick and Pat Richardson at UT Austin on this subject. The holistic range management approach, which is the most effective, is to allow some of the trees to mature and create a mesquite savannah.

The problem originates from shredding young mesquites. How many times have you seen big, old, mature mesquites with babies all around it? Never!

Your problem can solved but it will take time.

Hope that made since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:40 am 

I favor a bbq grill and a slower approach, but I love our mature mesquites here at the Ranch. Odd thing, they are about the only trees on our place that have any mistletoe on them, and they have quite a bit of it.