It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Gardening Glossary
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:17 am 

I have several books on gardening...mostly the Dirt Doctor's. And while I've been organic for some time, I have just begun genuine, bona-fide vegetable and flower gardens (used to grow stuff in pots around my porch). I'm having some trouble with some of the terms used in the books, since there's no real definition of what they are. Things like "deadheading," "two seeds per hill," etc. I think I know what they mean, but I'd rather be sure. Is there a source for this "new to me" lingo? It's kind of embarassing to ask. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:12 pm 

Hey, don't feel like you're alone! I feel the same way reading through Howard's and others' books sometimes. Hopefully someone will have something to help us novices out. Good question.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:18 pm 

Rick, I do not know of a good source other than just ask the question and await the answers, there are lots of very knowledgeable folks on this board. Most of my knowledge (little as it is, comes from my grandfather or dad and by asking those :oops: questions). For what it is worth, "dead heading" is cutting off the dead flower, after the plant has flowered it will begin to produce the seeds which robs the plant of nutrients. It also keeps some plants from producing more flowers that season. As for two seeds per hill, I follow my grand fathers advice and use "three seeds per hill" I was told that when planting things such as Summer Squash or Zuchinni to plant them on a hill (a small mound of soil about 4-5" above the rest of the garden and about 18"-24" across) Now you ask why? I do not remember the why just that is the way I was taught. I do not even know if there is an advantage to doing it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:44 pm 

Thanks to both of you. And anyone else who may post a reply. I didn't even know what a "hill" was. :roll:

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:09 pm 

dustoff79 is right about the Deadheading. Other than making your flowers / flowering plant look nicer it prevents them from going to seed which is the goal of flowering. Many flowering plants will make new flowers in an effort to make seeds thereby prolonging the blooming season.

As far as planting the Squash, Zuchinni, Watermelons, Cucumbers, Cantaloupe, etc... (aka - Curcurbits) in a hill goes, it is due to the fact that curcurbits are a vine plant and man do they need their space. :shock: I know this from experience. :shock: The planting multiple seeds in a hill deal is similar to planting multiple seeds close together in a row it is more to ensure germination. Once they germinate and sprout you thin them out (aka - pull them out) to ensure they have enough room to grow.

By all means if I did not explain something correctly please tell me... :)
Chad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:02 am 

Bah! I forgot all about this resource..

GW Botanical Glossary

And here's what they had listed for deadhead(ing).

deadhead
To remove the blooms after flowering to encourage the development of new flowers.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:11 pm 

Gee...and I thought Deadheading was all about following Jerry Garcia around the country, going to concerts...(just showing my age!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:15 am 

:lol: I was waiting for someone to say that... :lol:

Chad