It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:46 pm 

And if so, what do I soak them in? Do I need to do this to the peas too? Are there any other vegetable seeds that I need to soak?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but it seems like I remember hearing that I'm supposed to do this, and the bean seed packet says that if I soak them overnight, they will germinate faster, but it doesn't give any specifics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:20 am 

I think the first thing seeds do when they get ready to germinate is soak up water. That said, if you presoak them, theoretically you would get a jump start. Also, seeds germinate more quickly at higher temperatures, so I'm sure you can control this better inside than out.

However, I consider beans fairly easy to grow, and this whole pre-soaking stuff sounds too much like work to me. I sow them directly in the ground and have great success -- that goes pretty much for every seed I've tried (except tomatoes, which is another story).

Now that our cold spell appears to be over, I'd throw them in the ground and let them sprout on mother nature's schedule. You CAN presoak, but I don't know that you'll gain a whole lot.

Good luck,
Chris