It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: nematode application
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:14 pm 

I have recently jumped onto the organic band wagon. I bought a dose of ANTIdote 3-n-1 nematodes made by Gulf Coast Biotic Technology for my fire ants and garden insects. I have heard that you should mix the nematodes with water and apply by using a pump up sprayer. However, the instructions on the package say nothing about utilizing a sprayer. Have you heard of this brand of nematodes, and could you please tell me how to mix and apply with a pump up sprayer? Thank you for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:42 pm 

That brand is pretty common and I use it all the time.

You can use any kind of sprayer you want as long as you use the paper-cone filter to filter the mixture you are pouring into the sprayer so it does not clog the sprayer. Most people I know use hose-end sprayers 'cause they are cheap. Set the dial to maximum mix per gallon and remove the little screen plug in it. Just keep refilling and spraying till you finish your pail of mixture.

Spraying is for treating yards where you want overall protection against grubs, ants, roaches etc. Just make sure you water the yard for about 10 minutes before you spray and for about 5 minutes after.

If you are only treating mounds, then follow the instructions and just pour the mixture slowly into the mound after it has sat for 10 minutes after mixing. Pour the whole mixture.. it's just organic matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:14 am 

What happens if you do not remove the screen plug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:01 am 

Bekah wrote:
What happens if you do not remove the screen plug?

If you are applying nematodes or anything that has a residue you can clog up the screen plug. Removing it also help to suck up whatever you are wanting to apply.

Billusa99 - I do not recommend filtering the nematode solution before spraying because you run the risk of filtering out the nematodes you are trying to apply. They are small but not that small they range from 0.4 to 1.1 mm in length. Many of the paper filters I have seen can catch very small particulate.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/ent/biocontrol/pathogens/nematodes.html

My 2 cents,
Chad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:13 pm 

cwilson - the paper cone filter comes with the nematode package, and is part of the instructions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:37 pm 

Billusa99 wrote:
cwilson - the paper cone filter comes with the nematode package, and is part of the instructions.

8) I have never see that before. :) If the instructions say to do that then by all means do it. The nematodes I have used just come on a sponge with no special instructions. I guess it really depends on the packaging technique. I just didn't want to see someone filter out the good guys. :D Either way good luck with the nematodes.

Post subject: nematodes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:23 pm 

Can you tell me how long these things survive. :?: I read the info sheet you gave reference to, but some of it was clear as mud. :? Do these things reproduce quickly and thus, keep replensished or do they die out. I hate to be so ignorant on these things, but I am so new to all this and learning so much at once sometimes leaves me confused. :cry:

thanks for any and all help :D
ladonna

Post subject: Re: nematodes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:54 pm 

lplott wrote:
Can you tell me how long these things survive. :?: I read the info sheet you gave reference to, but some of it was clear as mud. :? Do these things reproduce quickly and thus, keep replensished or do they die out. I hate to be so ignorant on these things, but I am so new to all this and learning so much at once sometimes leaves me confused. :cry:

thanks for any and all help :D
ladonna

Well welcome to organics! :D Nematode survival like all living organisms are based on many factors. They do reproduce a couple of different ways. I have heard of them surviving for two years in large enough numbers to maintain control over the pest population. Most people, and correct me if I am wrong, reapply once a year and spot treat as needed. On an entire yard application they are not an instant fix but they work relatively quick.

Here is a link that will give you more info about them though it does get a bit technical.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/ent/biocontrol/pathogens/nematodes.html

Good Luck
Chad - (WooHoo 101 Posts) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:02 pm 

Thanks for that information. :P
That has helped tremendously. I think these little nemotodes might benefit me quite a bit.

thanks again.

ladonna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:48 pm 

lplott wrote:
Thanks for that information. :P
That has helped tremendously. I think these little nemotodes might benefit me quite a bit.

thanks again.

ladonna

Glad I could help. :D

Chad