It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:48 am 

I've read the thread on making compost tea and started my initial batch by going to the local compost and recycling center in Ft.Worth (Silver Creek Compost) and picked up a 5 gallon bucket full of some hot active compost. I then put half of it into another 5 gallon bucket to make a double batch. I added tap water, that had an air bubbler in it for ~2-3 hours to blow off the chlorine, to the buckets and put my airlines from the 2 air pumps (from previous fish tank) into the buckets near the bottom. I mixed in about 4 oz of molasses into each bucket as well as 1 lb. of alfalfa plugs into each. I let them bubble for 24 hours and then mixed them again and placed the bubblers near the bottom of the bucket. The next morning (this morning) the tea smelt pretty bad like manure. I'm not sure if the tea is becoming anaerobic or if that is normal. I was going to spray the yard/plants today with the tea but don't want to if it is going to cause any harm. Any suggestions. Sorry for the long post.
June Bug

Post subject: tea
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:21 pm 

From my experience, the manure compost smells like manure when you make tea. This is normal and is due to the water & microbes in the mixture. The aerating gets things going especially with all the ingredients you added! Before using, strain the stuff & dilute to an ice tea looking mix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:50 pm 

junebug
Sounds like you are gona have some pretty powerful compost tea. Follow what KHWOZ suggested and your tea will be perfect. If you have never tried compost tea before, you will be shocked at how much of a difference it makes in your plants and trees. The first time I made and applied mine, I saw a difference in two days. Mine does not have manure in it, don't have a supply, but instead I use fresh seaweed from the coast, Galveston, and dried molasses, Good luck and your plants and trees will thank you for the delicious treat. PS: I have applied tea twice this month so far and my garden is looking real healthy.