It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What is this hard clump?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:48 pm 

Take a look. Can you tell me what this is? I have 70 acres worth of trees and they are all covered with this mess. To include of course, the sticky, sap that prevades this time of year.

What is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:16 am 

No one has any idea? I've got one big tree that is completely covered with this stuff. It does not look like oak leaf blister. The crusty green stuff is on both sides of the leaves, and mostly covers the leaf on both sides.

If you crush it, it's wet but not oozy. If you break it open, it's somewhat dry and looks like you broke open a plant stem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:51 am 

Those are gall of some sort and in general they're not harmful to the overall health of your trees. They are created by insects which sting (or bite) the leaves, creating a chemical reaction resulting in growths like you're seeing. These galls act as a safe haven for the insects where they can feed and/or lay eggs. There's not a whole lot you can do to get rid of galls other than spray your trees prior to the insect's incubating period. Again, most aren't harmful to your trees - just a bit unsightly for some.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:55 am 

Then we're going to have a LOT of bugs. Every single leaf is coated in the green stuff. So much so, that when I looked up I swore the tree was covered in green acorns. Put my glasses on, and was sure surprised!

It's a big old tree too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:09 am 

What kind of tree is it? Specific insects generally stick with particular varieties of trees. For example, midge flies like to hit red oaks and create wooly fold galls like I've got. There are tons of various mites, flies and wasps that form galls on specific trees and shrubs. Do a google image search for your tree type and the word galls and you might have some luck determing what it you've got.

Galls could be a problem in some cases where they're significantly present enough to stunt the majority of leaves in a tree. If this is the case, then I'm not sure what to recommend. Galls prevent any sort of sprays (organic or otherwise) from being effective. If you think they're threatening your tree's health then you might want to see about having an arborist come in and take a look.

You might consider spraying with garlic/pepper tea to head off any further formations, but this might not help if the insects which are causing the galls are already done with their work. How long has it been since these have started to appear? If you can difinitively identify the insect culprit then this might give you an idea if they're still active.

Good luck!

~Dave