It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:25 pm 

I'm new to this forum and I hope you can help me! I train service dogs and currently have three GSD's I'm responsible for. All three dogs are on Muenster Natural dog food with Missing Link added every other day as well as garlic tablets. About two weeks ago I noticed a flea on one dog and by the next day all three were covered! I've used everything I can find that's natural-Flea 'N Tick B Gone baths, orange oil water baths, dish soap baths, spraying everything in sight with Garrett Juice, Pepper Spray, DE, Borax in the one area carpet I have(we have wood floors through out the house). And yet nothing seems to be working. One of the dogs has scratched all the hair off her belly and it's starting to bleed. For the first time this morning I gave them all fresh garlic since I read it to be better than the powdered stuff I've been giving them. I read on one of the earlier topics to also give Brewers Yeast...could someone expand on that? Say, how much would you suggest giving a 50lb dog? Is there anything I can spray on that will keep the fleas off for more than 30 min? Something to really repel them? I can't think of any more information to give you...all three dogs are inside 90% of the time, everything outside has been sprayed with nematodes. Please let me know of anything that you've used and has worked! I don't want to put the dogs back on flea drops, but I also can't have the dogs scratching themselves till they're bleeding. Help!

Post subject: fleas
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:54 pm 

The fleas have been a real pest this year. You've tried all the alternatives but one more you can look at is Bioganic spray. I'm not sure where you can get the solution in a spray bottle but the hose-end can be found at any Lowe's. It won't hurt you or your dogs. I used it recently and was very pleased. You could also use a hose-end container on your outside area as a control measure. I mixed Bioganic in a regular size spray bottle at 1/3 product to 2/3 water and it seemed to work well.

Fleas will get in any crack or crevice and hide to lay eggs. I'd vacuum the heck out of the carpet and spray with one of the products to kill everything that is still there. Use your vacuum on every square inch of your house, and suck up a little DE before you start so you make sure the fleas you get up are killed. Vacuum every day for 3 days and then every other day and you should get control.

As for the sore spots, tea tree or lavender oil or a corn meal poultice will give great relief. A corn meal bath works well too. Sorry to hear the poor pooches are suffering, but I know you are too. :(

Hope this works for you and you get some relief!
Kathe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:28 am 

Wylie.

Your profile is lacking information. What part of the country do you live?

Is this at your home or at a kennel enviroment?
Could the fleas be comming in with your new trainies?

I here Cedar Cide make good flea control products. Can be found at Lowe's Lumber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:53 am 

I live in Northeast Texas near Dallas. I train out of my home and do not have kennels, but the dogs do have an acre to play and run on. We have two barn cats who tend to roam the neighborhood so I'm pretty sure the dogs picked up the fleas from the cats. I have just now gotten the cedercide products and the bioganic spray and started using them in the last 24 hours. I'll let you know if and when I have victory over these little pests. BTW, I have used the orange peel treatment on the cats with no success. After trying to fight these things for the last month and a half, I now know what DOESN"T work. Thanks for your suggestions!

Post subject: Cedar Cide
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:01 am 

Wylie Dog,

Yes, please let us know the results and may suggest you make a separate post at the Exchange forum and start the topic title with "Tip".

Post subject: Fleas inside
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:38 pm 

FYI - The Bioganic spray didn't work inside nearly as well as it did outside. So I went back to a remedy I'd used before - 1 oz. of Orange TKO mixed with 1/2 gallon of water and sprayed every floor in the house. That did it, just like the last couple of times I brought home fleas from the farm.

Back to outside, if your soil is healthy and you keep it moist enough for plants, beneficial nematodes take care of any fleas that try to invade.

Hope you get relief fast! :D

Kathe

Post subject: Aloe
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:40 pm 

Once you get rid of the fleas, you should give your dog some George's Aloe juice. It will help heal any sores and keep your dog healthy. I put the aloe juice in my dog's water dish so she gets some everyday. It tastes like spring water, so my dog can't tell the difference. I have a friend that has a dog that had bad sores from scratching. After she put her dog on the aloe, her dog started healing and hardly ever scrathces anymore. If you want more information on the aloe, let me know. I wish you the best of luck!

Post subject: flea problem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:08 pm 

I have always had good luck with diatnatious (sp?) earth. Dusting my dogs; cats and home with it.

Also putting a light layer of cedar chips in the yard. Cedar oil is a good deterent but can be irritating to the pets skin.

I have been told that rosemary oil is a good deterent and is not irritating like the cedar oil. We have 2 rosemary trees in pots on our patio.

So for us the combination of the DE; Cedar chips and Rosemary plants have kept our yard and animals flea free.

Hope you find something that works well. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:21 pm 

I have found in the past with a sudden infestation of fleas, giving weekly or bi-weekly baths works very well. I would find a soothing herbal shampoo and add a small amount of orange oil to it, maybe 5%. After the bath spray the dogs with a weak orange oil spray, again 5% mixed with water

Increase the cats' health to keep them from bringing home fleas. Since this is your source, concentrate efforts their. They are not likely coming from your yard since that sounds top notch.

Enjoy the bubble baths with your pupils! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:28 pm 

Pamzilla,
How do you mix orange oil with water? The oil floats on the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:58 am 

Is orange oil really that oily?

In reference to adding orange oil to animal shampoos it turns the shampoo cloudy but generally stays mixed. This is also a safe addition for storage I have found.

Adding orange oil to regular water is fine too. I keep a spray bottle of 10% orange oil to water around the kitchen for clean ups. The water turns cloudy and yes it is good to shake the bottle to help mix the liquids. I have also found it is a good thing to poke a small hole near the top of the bottle to allow air to escape. The bottle doesn't contract and the sprayer seems to work better.

I hope that makes sense. Enjoy the orange oil.

Post subject: orange oil
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:09 pm 

From what I've seen, it depends on the brand of orange oil one buys and what is added to it. Pure orange oil (or de-limonene) will float at the top of water. After all, it's oil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:37 am 

Mine certainly doesn't get cloudy. Mine floats up there proud as can be. Apparently there is an emulsifier in pamzilla's.

What brand are you using? Mine is by GreenSense 100% pure orange oil (d-limonene) out of Garland, TX and comes in a can. Coming out of the can it is clear with no orange color at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:46 pm 

My orange oil is Nature's Guide and it says it is citrus oil and plant surfacant. It is orange colored. I have used two or three other brands (including TKO) and they all act the same for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:14 am 

I just remembered I have some old orange cleaner stuff under the kitchen sink that clouds up in water. I am trying that with water in a spray bottle.