It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:10 am 

OK, I know that question sounds silly, but ...

Exactly how do you guys go about getting manure?

Do you find a farmer, knock on his door, and ask him? I've checked my local gardening center and they always refer me to some mixture of compost/manure that has already been bagged. I just want plain old manure. I'll do my own composting, thank you!

I'm working on a brand new pile of ~98% oak leaves and manure is going to be essential for a speedy, hot pile.

BTW, I don't live in Uvalde anymore. If I did, I'd probably have too much manure from my local farmer friends and not enough oak leaves.

Uvalde Gardener

Post subject: were to get manure
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:03 pm 

I know this sounds silly but we raise our own manure - horses, cows and old uneaten hay.
Actually we live in one of the greatest areas in the world for horses and there are ample places to get manure at horse farms ---- if you have a strong back, heavy fork, and trailer. Alot of these farms will let you have manure and would load it in a trailer if you had a dump trailer that you could leave at their farm and pick up once or twice a week, but I am not ready to sink 4 to 5 thousand into a trailer.
You might find a dairy that piles manure into a pile. They would need a front-end loader and you would need to find someone with a dump truck that would haul it for you.
Other choice is for you to find someone and you dig it up by hand - this is back breaking work when dry and worse if wet.
Robert D Bard

Post subject: Manure
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:29 am 

Where do you live? Not familiar with zone 8b. In the Ft. Worth -Weatherford area there are several places that you can pick up truck loads of composted manure very cheaply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:35 pm 

I live in the Round Rock/Austin area. If you guys have any specific sources for manure, I am all ears ... uhm ... eyes.

Post subject: info
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:15 pm 

This post is the best I can do since I don't live in your area. Maybe other folks can help.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1143

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:31 pm 

A lot or my fellow urban organic gardening students get their poop from the local police departments at the horse barns. Some even get it from local zoos.

I get an unlimited amount from the local equine clinic. It is always stored on a huge mountain of poop, premixed with hay, straw, untreated sawdust, alfalfa meal feeds, etc. Good stuff!

To me, bags of grass clippings and meat scraps like fish scraps, are just as good, or better than most fresh animal manures in their ammonia/protein nitrogen sources. Fish scraps or other meats are definitely richer in other nutrients and minerals, as well as being higher in protein nitrogen. I use tons of sawdust when I compost fish scraps in my compost stockpiles. This balances my C:N ratio in the piles, plus keeps down odors and pests.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton