It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Oversprayed Vinegar!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:51 pm 

I'm just starting to learn the organic lawncare methods, and a little knowledge is getting dangerous. I have alot of weed (spurge-like) that I have truly hated for the last 2 years! MSMA used to kill the tops, but it always came back. I tried 20% vinegar/orange oil this past weekend. To my surprise, it worked...but too good. The overspray has apparently killed (I guess it's dead ?? ) the surrounding bermuda. Since the weed patches are large, I now have about 2-3 HUGE dead patches of both grass and weed. Should I dig these up or let the new growth do it's job? I don't know if the vinegar killed the weed roots, so I'm leaning in this direction since even MSMA didn't kill them. If so, what should be used for filler? I'm truly confused...any advise would be appreciated!

Post subject: Killed the bermuda?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:44 pm 

Bermuda is so tenacious, and it's not even it's prime season, I'll comfort you in saying it will come back. Bermuda is so danged hard to kill! The rhizomes down in the soil are very resourceful and will bring it back until you dig them out. In any case, a little compost in that area will help it grow back faster. Molasses makes grass grow almost better than anything I've ever seen.

Let me give you a guide to logical thinking about this. Remember the vinegar works as a natural acid burn to kill the foliage. It is not discriminating, just like any acid. If you spot spray carefully you can kill off the weeds without leaving big holes in your yard for long. The vinegar then breaks down and improves the soil, unlike other topical weed killers.

Vinegar weed killer sometimes requires a second treatment for very large weeds with a deep tap root, so you may have to treat again. However, I have taken to kicking or cutting off the tops of these types of weeds and then spraying down into the core. Burns the heck out of them, and I rarely have to treat another time when I do this.

Hope you feel better now! :D
Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:07 am 

outstanding...
so I was right.. I dont have to use the chems my kids are sensitive to..

vinegar here I come..
thanks to you both..

mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:28 pm 

Well, I appreciate the advise greatly. I've kept an eye on the dead/brown spots, and there is new grass beginning to emerge only one week later. The weeds that were sprayed don't appear to be coming back, but I'll hit them again just to be safe. However, keeping up with this evil weed/clover elsewhere is truly a nightmare. So much for using chemical pre-emergent!! I'll never go back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:22 pm 

I use cardboard as a shield to protect my grass from the overspray. It helps but some still seems to get over sprayed.