It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:04 am 

my wife and i are just now starting organic's. Is it too late to fertilize my yard with the corn glutin meal or the dried molassas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:04 pm 

It is too late to gain the pre-emergent herbicidal benefit of the CGM, but never too late to use the organic amendments to fertilize and stimulate microbial activity.

"A righteous person who is wise resembles God: he never disciplines anyone in order to take vengeance upon a wrongdoing, but only so that the person may be set aright, or that others may be deterred."
-St Isaac of Syria

Post subject: cgm
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:35 pm 

do you need to water the cgm after you have spread it through out the yard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:37 pm 

lightly

"A righteous person who is wise resembles God: he never disciplines anyone in order to take vengeance upon a wrongdoing, but only so that the person may be set aright, or that others may be deterred."
-St Isaac of Syria

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:40 pm 

thanks for the info. i'm just getting started and was not sure if it was ok to put water on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:02 am 

glad you asked.. saved me some typing.. :)

bummer that I missed the window.. but good to know the cornmeal
will still help..

now....
what is this about molasses??? :shock:

and yes. I'm new to this.. :)

mark

Post subject: about molasses
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:33 pm 

i'm not real sure exactly what the molasse's does for the yard :shock: , but i am going to read up on that and find out :?

Post subject: molasses
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:34 am 

Molasses is great in sprays and as a soil amendment. In your yard & garden it will fire up the microbes. The granular is easier to use on the yard. Also, it tends to discourage ants, they don't like it! Search the DirtDoctor web site and this discussion board - tons of info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:32 pm 

You can fertilize with organic fertilizer any day of the year. If you were expecting to get a preemergent effect from corn GLUTEN meal, you are too late. If you meant ordinary corn meal, then go for it any time. Corn meal and corn GLUTEN meal are definitely two different materials.

The ground grains are protein sources for the microbes in your soil. Molasses is a sugar source for the microbes. Normally the microbes get sugar from the grass roots. Sugar is used primarily to reproduce more microbes.

It is my belief (with absolutely no experimental background but it just seems logical to me) that the addition of molasses screws up the natural reproduction of microbes. Normally plants give off sugars in return for plant food. Each slightly different sugar they give off stimulates the microbes to return a slightly different form of plant food. In this way the total balance of foods is maintained. If you suddenly add a bunch of molasses, who knows what will happen.

I have used molasses at a rate of 3 ounces per 1,000 square feet with no change in anything. Kathe Kitchens tells me I should up the rate to 9 ounces per 1,000. I'm hesitant for the reason in the previous paragraph. Note that I'm not hard over on that previous paragraph. If someone comes along with experiments that prove me wrong, OR if someone even comes up with something more logical, I'm dumping my "belief."