It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:59 am 

:lol: Soil prep (rose beds) for a nasty bug year (mild winter=bugs galore). I've put down the compost, layer of mulch, then light layer of old pine needles. Under the mulch is cornmeal, coffee grounds, alfala meal, bone meal, cottonseed meal, blood meal.

I've ordered the Anti Fuego for fire ants, just in case. For some reason, I like the idea of hurting these insects. Probably because of all the pain they've inflicted on my children and me. It looks like it has good stuff (molasses and orange oil) in it. Would it hurt to spray it on top or should it go on at another layer? Is it safe for roses? The stores are not local for me, so I appreciate your input.

Any ideas on locust (grasshopper) swarms? We're in the 13 year cycle this year. For some reason, I'm remembering grandpa having fire pits going, but don't remember what he burned to keep them away from the garden.

Thanks!
Angela

"Clearing toxins from homes makes families healthy" I did it, and my migraines are gone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:55 am 

Use the Anti Fuego to treat individual mounds, not as a preventative. Kathe swears by regular applications of molasses as an ant deterant. I am trying that this season and will add beneficial nematodes next year when my soil is improved.

Post subject: Fire Ant Battle
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:42 am 

Hello Angela! I used to live in Chattanooga! It's a beautiful town. If you've never been to the Craven's house up on Lookout Mountain, go there! It's an old civil war era home and lovely!

I do swear by molasses to kick out the fire ants, and I found out a few years ago that cornmeal does it too. When I treat a mound in relatives' yards, I always add a cup of cornmeal to the mix. I have even killed out mounds with JUST cornmeal. If I recall correctly, Barbara Pletcher was the one who originally brought that to our attention (or mine, anyway). She was the original Dirt editor.

I haven't had fire ants for many years. My observations and considering the differences in programs used by my friends and colleagues brought two things to my attention: 1) I use molasses on a regular basis and 2) I add cornmeal to the fertilizer application each spring and fall. I don't have fire ants, they do. That's not the be-all and end-all (that's an old saying, ya'll :D ) but it sure gets my attention!

Don't use tons of molasses, just use it regularly. My program generally includes 2 to 4 oz. per gallon sprayed lightly every two weeks or monthly. That's not expensive. Horticultural cornmeal works best, no doubt. But if you don't have access to it or it's ridiculously expensive, use just rough plain ground cornmeal. It will work too.

I hope this is helpful to you. I'm so glad to know someone out there in Chattanooga is using organic methods. That's such a lovely place, it's a sin to poison it! I love the day lilies that grow everywhere!
Kathe :D

Post subject: organics
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:48 am 

It's been difficult finding organic treatments in this area, Kathe. I'm trying my best to educate a few friends. I refer them to this site all the time.

I've been to the Cravens house. Very interesting tour. I enjoy living here, but having clay soil and being on top of a mountain takes alot of work to keep a good balance.

Thanks for the tips.

Angela

"Clearing toxins from homes makes families healthy" I did it, and my migraines are gone!