It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Not-so-live-oak
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:48 pm 

I replaced a live oak that the builder had planted (it died) with another live oak with a three inch diameter trunk about a month or so ago. 99% of the leaves on it are dead and most of the branches are dead as tooth picks. There are a VERY FEW green leaves on it right near the trunk at the based of the first major limbs on the tree. There is a very little bit of green in some of the small twigs near the base as well. Will this tree pull through? It seems that it is on its death bed and couldn't have gotten their faster if I had planted it in a bed of gasoline soaked laundry detergent. It has gotten plenty of water (root waterer, above ground and sprinklers) and I gave it some tree stakes and some root stimulator. I did NOT dig the whole much wider than the ball and burlap. But that wouldn't kill it that fast would it? Help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:18 pm 

That's very odd.

Is there anything strange about the soil in that area? What's the soil like? How about drainage?

I definitely wouldn't keep using those tree feedign stakes for the same reason we don't recommend other artificial high-nitrogen etc fertilizers.

I'd hit the tree with the Sick Tree Treatment that is delineated at the top of the forum.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject: planting trees
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:28 pm 

From what I'm reading into your post, you planted the tree incorrectly. Check the link below to see if you did it correctly. Get rid of stakes, cut down on your watering, quit using the root stimulator unless it is a natural product like compost tea or seaweed extract (examples) & check the depth you planted the tree. Is the root flare exposed? I hope I am helping & not confusing you. Search this discussion board and the DirtDoctor website for additional help.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=56

Post subject: tree stakes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:27 pm 

Is it possible that the tree stakes burnt the new roots? I am new to gardening as this is my first home, new to texas gardening since I am from "up north," and organic gardening is certainly foreign to me. However, I see the advantages mainly to protecting my young family from potentially harmful chemicals...back on topic...There IS a potential drainage problem b/c there is a flowerbed that flows toward the edge of the root ball and the soil (a stretch if you ask me to call anything in texas soil) is mostly clay. Should I put a ridge above the tree's root ball to divert the runoff? Should I try to dig out what is left of the tree stakes since I am sure that the young tree's roots have not gotten out of the burlap yet? HELP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:41 am 

untprof, there are many reasons your tree may be dying or essentially "dead". Firstly when was your tree dug at the nursery and how long was it held there? A 3" caliper tree will suffer substantial root loss when it is dug from the field, 90% of its roots or more. If it was held in the nursery in a mulch bed for to long feeder roots may have developed into the mulch then when it was moved again those roots would have been destroyed causing further stress to the tree. second, the tree stakes will not help much at this stage if they're "high" in nitrogen, equal to or greater than potassium and phosphorus, because at this stage having just robbed your tree of almost all its roots you want to help it produce more and nitrogen will promote top growth not root growth, phosphorus promotes root growth amongst other things. third, your probably drowning the poor thing. If your in heavy clay your soil is not well drained, if your making mud at 6" or so below ground level thats too much water, you want it moist not wet. finally, I wouldn't be too concerned about the hole you put it in. This you have longer term reprocussions and wouldn't likely kill your tree in a month by itself.
It sounds to me like you got a poor specimen of tree, overly stressed for one or more reasons, and drowned the poor thing. Its not entirely your fault though, a healthy tree can take alot and I don't suspect your tree came to you all that happy. I don't hold out to much hope for your trees future unfortunately. I've gone on too long already but if your interested I have some suggestions for your next tree.

good luck...