It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Plant spacing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:48 pm 

I have a 20' X 27' garden area 540sq' and would like to have some ideas as to how to space my plants. Rows, mounds, distance apart etc......
I will be planting;
Peppers - Banana, jalapeno, Cayenne, and maybe some bells. (I prefer Yellow bells.)
Tomatos preferably Romas and/or cherrie (Maybe some others if anyone has a suggestion)
Zuccini & Radishes

Post subject: veggie spacing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:08 pm 

:D Hi, I plant my peppers (any variety) one and a half feet apart. Tomatoes need probably 3 feet between them, but I don't ever have that much room. Since you will want to cage your tomatoes, just leave enough room between the cages to walk through and be able to pick from all sides. You mentioned different varieties of peppers--thought I would let you know just in case you don't--don't plant hot peppers together with mild peppers, all you'll get are hot ones!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:38 pm 

Thanks for the tip.
I have had a garden in the past but got kinda lazy the last few yrs. :oops:
My father had informed me about keeping the peppers seperated for the same reason that you've stated.
What I did in the past is to put the hot peepers on the North end of my garden with tomatoes and other veggies in between and the mild ones on the south end. The mind set there is that since the wind is usually out of the south there will be less chance of cross pollenating my mild peppers with hot pollen. :idea:
On another thought, I'm trying to find a Chinese herb called Jiaogulan.
It is said to increase Muscular endurance.
From what I've read you can make tea from the leaves and is said to be very sweet.
If you know of this or know which way to direct me I would greatly appreciate it. :D
Thanks again