It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:41 am 

Living in rural East Texas, I have done good to find carrots, potatoes, and apples. That's about all I can find on a regular basis. There is the occasional orange and avocado, but that's about it.

I go to Dallas about once very two months, so I can stock up on some things that will freeze, or that stores well. It's the more perishable stuff I have trouble with. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:55 pm 

That was the most shocking thing about moving to the "country". Living 30 minutes from the nearest super market, we can't even get decent conventional produce. You either have to grow it or raise it to get quality without traveling.

I too go to Dallas once a week to get the good stuff. Also I have chickens for eggs. We eat a lot of eggs. My family sometimes goes :roll: "Eggs Again!"

Your best bet might be to find a co-op group. Also Houston area might be closer. Some H-E-Bs are carrying whole foods.

Enjoy your quest!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:52 am 

Thanks Pamzilla! Hubbard. That place sounds familiar.

Houston probably would be a little closer, but my hubby would not go just for food. We don't go to Dallas just for the food -- we go to visit his brother, get our haircuts (I got spoiled to my hairdresser there when we lived there), and go the Whole Foods. If it was just the food, I probably couldn't convince him.

Our HEB is too small. They occasionally get in one fruit or something, but that's about it. Never lettuce. Don't know why. Maybe things will change though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:35 pm 

There is a website, www.localharvest.org, that is a compendium of family run organic farms with maps, etc. Also has events and products.
Their is a huge map of the US on the front page showing organic locations. It's sad how relatively few there are in Texas compared to other states.
Tony M