It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:43 am 

Just wondering. I've seen the suggestion of keeping a couple of hens for eggs, and was wondering how easy they are to take care of. Also, we eat, on average, 4 eggs a day. How may chickens would it take to sustain that?

Thanks!

Post subject: Easy chickens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:59 am 

Chickens are very easy to keep but there are a couple of considerations. We have 25 right now and have never lost a bird to predators. However, there are many around so we lock them up every night. We also have a livestock guardian dog - not for the chickens - we have dwarf nigerian dairy goats.
Our birds free range and eat every bug imaginable but they are constantly searching which means they love to scratch around in the gardens. If you don't like your beds messed up learn how to fence.
Popular laying breeds lay one egg about every 1.5-2 days. Less in the winter when the light and foods sources decline.
You can keep them in a coop all day but the quality of the eggs isn't as good. Still beats store bought though. Penned birds as well as free range still need supplemental feed and a constant source of clean water.
If you don't have a rooster there are no loud noises to deal with. You don't need a rooster to get eggs, just to get chicks.
You are welcome to come out and see our set-up for ideas and additional information. PM me if you like.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:03 am 

The worst predators we had to deal with when we kept chickens were domesticated dogs. They kill as many as they can for the fun of the chase, whereas a racoon or coyote will take one to eat and leave the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:30 pm 

Thanks y'all!

Thanks for the offer Tony. I really appreciate it. I think I may be a long way from actually getting chickens, but it's something I am keeping in the back of mind and gathering info on. Sounds like you have a good set up going there.

Post subject: My Two Cents...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:02 pm 

Anyone else who's reading this, take Tony up on his offer to see his place. It's absolutely beautiful, the chickens are all over and the goats are hilarious. The dog is a beauty and anyone who's thinking about getting one should meet her.
Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:48 pm 

I have had good luck with mulching my beds with cedar mulch. Chickens don't like cedar and I've even heard the oils in the cedar are bad for them. Besides because it is cedar there aren't as many bugs there for them to eat.

Tony, I'd love to see your place. Maybe you should pick an open house day so all us regulars, and irregulars :wink: , can bombard you all at once. :)