It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Post aeration advice
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:20 am 

I live in Plano & have a front yard full of a layer of weeds all over....I moved over to the organic camp this year & put down CGM & dry molasses on Feb 20. Also did aeration thru a contractor on Mar. 15 (today) & intend to spray beneficial nematodes soon.
1) Do you think this should take care of the weed & ant problem? The weeds are strong with no end in sight.
2) Is there anything else I should do to banish the weeds?
3) Also, I would like to put bermuda seeds in the grass in the near future. Will the CGM prevent the bermuda seeds from sprouting? How long does CGM's pre-emergent effect last?

Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:12 am 

um...

Sounds like your cgm was a little late, kinda sounds like it ended up being a high nitrogen fertilizer for the weeds, instead of preemergent. You will need to try again in the late summer/early fall to gain preemergent benefits. the cgm will keep the bermuda from sprouting for about 4-5 mos. and bermuda loves to be seeded when it is HOT, so you should be ok there.

The nematodes will take care of ants over time, but you have to keep them moist.

"A righteous person who is wise resembles God: he never disciplines anyone in order to take vengeance upon a wrongdoing, but only so that the person may be set aright, or that others may be deterred."
-St Isaac of Syria

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:15 pm 

Pandu,

First, welcome to the "organic camp"! Next, we don't offer miracle cures like a TV infomercial. Good things come to those who wait and remain consistent :) Until you switch over to Bermuda, set your mower to it's highest setting and mow often during the Spring. Monitor the water, watering deeply when the Spring rains subside. In the early stages of conversion, keep up with your regular feedings. Pull a few weeds every evening as you monitor your progress. Spot spray with the Vinegar/Orange Oil/Soap solution. Determine what amount of weeds are acceptable as you will likely have them even with an organic program.

Take some time and read through the forums. There is a wealth of information here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:28 pm 

I second Mr Cleans suggestions. It takes a while to see what the organic amendments will do because the soil was abused with all the nasty chemicals that had been applied. Like he stated, you have to be patient.
Over time you will see a big improvement and have much healthier soil, grass, shrubs and plants in general. One good thing about organics is you can apply compost any time and not have to worry about burning the plants since it is naturally slow releasing. The plants pull out the neutrients
as needed. Also you don't need to fertilize or water as often as long as you water deep. Your landscape and garden will thank you for the delicious meal instead of the nasty chemicals that had been applied previously.