It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:31 am 

I I have a strip of bare soil between the Bermuda and the garden and I want to stop the Bermuda from creeping into my garden. I've heard Howard talk about using newspaper and mulch to control the spread of Bermuda grass. Can anyone tellme the exact method Howard recommends? Do I use anything other than newspaper and much? Does compost come into play?

Dave in Denton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:15 pm 

Dave-
The process you are referencing is for building new beds, it won't do anything to stop new grass from creeping in.
A soild barrier, several inches above and below the ground is your best bet. Even with that you better be aggressive with the string trimmer. The wider and deeper the barrier the better.
Tony M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:06 am 

Howard has mentioned a specific method that works to control the spread of Bermuda. He has described it several times on the air but I can't remember all the details. I know it involves at least five layers of newspaper with 3-4 inches of mulch on top.

I believe compost is also a part of the remedy but I can't remember if it goes above or below the newspaper.

Does anyone else remember the details?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:52 am 

no

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:00 pm 

I don't know if this is specifically what you're looking for, but I use newspaper and mulch to kill grass in my flower beds. I put down about 5 layers or so of newspaper and cover it with cedar mulch. I suppose you could put compost under the newspaper, but I never have. I've been doing this for a couple of years and it has totally reclaimed a bed that used to be overrun with Bermuda every year. Of course, your mileage may vary! :D

Post subject: grass kill
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:20 pm 

It is 5-7 layers of paper covered with mulch. I don't believe compost is involved. Use the compost in your garden. If you get anything growing in this border area, spray it with the vinegar mix listed on the home site. Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:30 pm 

Dave,

As mentioned the newspaper/mulch method can be used to kill off existing grasses in a bed, but your question was related to fending off the Bermuda grass creep into the bed. TonyM's response is correct. Bermuda spreads aggressively above and below the surface, a physical barrier will help, but staying on top of it by hand removal and string trimmer is necessary to win that battle.