It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:39 am 

We also have started a culinary herb garden which we have put into the soil about four inches of compost and some cotton seed meal before planting. After planting I made some compost tea and Garrett juice using liquid molasses, tea, and greensense fish and kelp blend.
I ran out of money before getting orange oil and cider vinegar but will add that next time. Anymore I need to do for
my herb garden? I would appreciate any advice you could give me. One
last thing about my herb garden the sage I planted is loosing stems and
something seems to be cutting off the stems and eating the foliage. What could
that possible be? I haven’t seen any bugs but it seems to be happening
at night. Thanks again for any advice.

Post subject: A few other things...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:53 pm 

You need to get some cornmeal into the soil in your herb bed. About a handful around each plant will make them happy and hardy. Sprinkle it on the soil, mix it in a little, water it in, and put the mulch back on top. Go light on the foliars with these guys. Mist them only and not too often. Herbs like to be left pretty much alone once they are planted. Water regularly.

For weed control you want pickling vinegar and orange oil. Cider vinegar is good to mix in with foliar feeds for trace minerals but not for weed control.

I will bet if you take a flashlight out at night to check your sage (if there's any left) you will find the culprits are snails and/or slugs. Get some Sluggo, which is iron phosphate, and sprinkle it around. It works great and breaks down into fertilizer. I had the same problem with them eating my cabbage! They are fast and deadly.

Good luck and have fun!
Kathe

Post subject: Thanks Kathe
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:55 pm 

I put down some cornmeal today in my herb garden and will put sluggo down tonight as you suggested to save my sage and oregano plants, there are still a few stems left. I sure appreciate your help since I'm still new to organic gardening. If I have any more problems I assure you that I will post again.
Thanks again
:D