It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:53 pm 

:? When is the best time to start my herb garden? I have already added to my garden, compost, mineral plus, and a little cottonseed meal to the soil and have bought my plants, (Rosemary, lemon thyme, Greek and Mexican oregano, sage, winter savory, Italian parsley, Salad Burnett, lemon balm and chives). I guess I am a little anxious since I have never planted herbs before. I also would like to know if there are any other herbs that I should plant for my 1st garden. I would like some horseradish but my nursery will not carry it and I have not found any yet. I sure would appreciate any assistants anyone could give me. Thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:33 pm 

I would think, from reading yout list, that they can all be planted now. Most of them are pretty cold tolerant, but I've never grown Mexican oregano, so I'm not sure on that one. The basil family is generally not cold tolerant, so if you plan to plant any, I would wait until the danger of freezing is gone. You could also plant some dill and fennel now, from what I remember.

Post subject: Herb plantings
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:05 pm 

I would say you are pretty safe planting them now. But I would add some cornmeal to the soil to knock out any problems with fungus and to make the soil healthier. I've been doing this for 3 years now and it just keeps problems from occuring.

Watch the weather, and if we get another freeze cover your basil with a floating row cover, adapted 1 or 2 liter bottle or plastic bucket. I put 3 basil plants out last week and they are already growing so I think they'll be okay from now on. I have a little north wind shelter for my herb bed so that helps. The predicted lows for the north Texas area this week are in the low 40's so they will have time to get established before we get any late freeze.

You will LOVE growing herbs...they are SO EASY! The rule you need to remember is that most people who have problems with their herbs are loving them to death. Water properly, don't over fertilize and use them regularly. The herbs I've had that did the best are the ones that I was always clipping to use! I have a potted 3 year old lavender and a pot of chives that has travelled with me too.

Enjoy!
Kathe :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:03 pm 

http://www.theherbcottage.com/framestemp.html

A favorite of mine--hope you take the time to look at this website. Very informative and inspiring as well! Happy gardening. - Susan

Post subject: Herb Plantings
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:32 pm 

A small grocer (the store not the man) advised me not to plant basil until the temperature no longer drops to the mid 40's, so I am waiting another week or two. Don't know if he's right, but he seemed sure.

Last year I bought my first lavender plant, a spanish lavender. I planted it in a pot and added decomposed granite in addition to all the other typical organic ammendments. It did fine all season, and for the winter, I moved it up on a covered porch. It survived just fine, but the lower third of the leaves look dead. The upper two thirds look great. Should I cut it back to the ground?

Thanks,
K