It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Raised Beds
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:33 am 

I would like to build several raised vegetable garden beds approximately 3 feet by 8 feet long. I want to build it with 2'x6' lumber 1 foot high. I saw a program that recommended lining the inside bed with composite shingles as well as use a oil stain with no preservatives??? Can someone tell me if this is an acceptable way to preserve the beds, and since it is a vegetable garden, isn't there chemicals involved here that I should be concerned with??

I would like to use cedar of course, but I am on a budget.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:04 am 

I recently went to 4 x 8 x 16 cinders, and I like them a lot so far. They're not quite the 12" you're looking for, but 8" is pretty good, and they are very cheap -- $0.95 each.

I was initially worried about keeping them falling over, but it hasn't been a problem. They stand on their own just fine. The best part is if you want to change the shape or dimensions, just pick them up and move them!

Now if I could only stop cats from going in my raised beds... that would be a feat. The soil is so loose and irresistable to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:13 am 

It is generally recommended on this board to use layers of newspaper to line the inside of the bed instead of shingles. I would be careful to read the ingredients of any stain you may choose to insure the contents are acceptable to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:20 pm 

Be very careful of any type of stain or treated lumber as alot of these have arsenic to treat them. Do you plan on having these awhile? In which case it may be worth the money to do them right the first time and not skimp. I used Trex which is a recycled plastic lumber which doesn't leach and will be around forever. A friend of mine used pine and had to replace everything in two years. Good luck.