It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Compost Cover
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:50 pm 

Your pile looks to be made from chicken wire, which is pretty similar to what I have (generic fencing material). For a cover, I just lay down a piece of the same fencing that I used to border it. It's not affixed to anything; it just lays there, and for whatever reason, it seems to stay put. When I need to add stuff, I lift it off.

Maybe this is suboptimal because it doesn't keep the heat in, but it seems to work for me. Then again, my only goal is to prevent the leaves from blowing all over the place. I have to import my leaves (sadly no trees), so they are a precious commodity and not something I am willing to part with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:48 pm 

Kool idea, I never thought to save rain water in that fashion. I just leave my compost top open and turn it if it gets to wet and starts to smell.

Post subject: fruit fly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:33 pm 

I been getting fruit fly's around my compost bin. I do cover it with leaves and put my lid on top. They like to come into the house also. I'm I doing something wrong??????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:47 pm 

Nothing wrong with what you're doing. The flies like the pile for its warmth and food and the pile likes their activity too. 8) If they're a problem (getting in the house) then you might try a garlic pepper spray to keep them away. My bin is far away from any doors or windows so I've never tried getting rid of them. Might be there's a more effective means of doing so.

Thanks for the ideas concerning the water issue, nina. :) I've got some sketches done already for water collecting and rain protection.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:36 am 

dcluck, you have inspired me :D My measly ol piles that I created using cinder blocks for corners and some stakes to hold up chicken wire are going to be replaced with something similar to what you built. I have lots of scrap lumber hanging about & am going to lean on my husband (who knows more than me how to put things together!) to take a look at the pic you attached and make something like that for me! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:15 pm 

Here's a pic of my "new" bin. I went the cheap route and just used a few pallets from the local grocery store. Think I spent a total of about $2.00 building this thing. 8)