It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: more chiggers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:54 pm 

Another question about chiggers - can they get into your house? If so, what is the best way to get rid of them? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:51 pm 

Yes they sure can. They can even infest a mattress. You can kill them with the cirtus products. Do a spot test on the area to be treated or call the manufacturer first.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:44 pm 

Maybe it's possible, but I would bet it is highly unlikely. I grew up in the metroplex area out in the country for most of my childhood, and never had chiggers get in the house and cause any problems, although we did have to deal with them every year in late May, June, and sometimes July. I wouldn't worry about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:17 pm 

Well, I had them in my mattress, but they didn't last long. When I was screening calls last Sunday, a caller had the same problem & I beleive I heard Howard say they most probably could take up residence in a mattress, but that they would not survive forever, especially if a citrus product were used.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:25 am 

So, if this is the case, are chiggers what people refer to as bedbugs? I've read that bedbugs are some kind of mite, and from what I understand, that's pretty accurate as a description of chiggers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:19 am 

Could very well be. I would not doubt it at all.

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject: chiggers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:52 pm 

I have been getting bitten by something--don't know what. Have at least 40 bites. Last week I was on the grass, but didn't think chiggers were out yet. Whatever it is, I haven't managed to see anything. The bites are from my neck to my toes.

Could this be chiggers? Does anyone have any ideas?

I have a new cotten rug from India. Took it out and sprayed both sides with citrus product. Washed everything I could think of, and sprinkled de on the parts of the house that have carpet. I am getting desperate.

Any help? Laryl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:56 pm 

Chiggers and bedbugs are not the same thing at all. Chiggers are microscopic and prefer grasslands and weedy unirrigated areas for their home, while bed bugs are 1/4 inch and prefer living in cracks and crevices of pretty much anything - walls, mattresses, the folds of curtains, etc.

Chiggers inject a digestive juice that dissolves skin cells so they can more easily eat the skin (eww, gross).

Bedbugs prefer blood to skin - and can get to be as big as a large ladybug after having their fill. Howard has said that it is real easy to tell the difference in terms of an infestation - if you have chiggers - you're not going to see them, only feel their bite - but if you have bed bugs you will not only have irritated bites, but little blood spatters and fecal smears on your sheets and pillow cases, at which time - if I ever experienced such, I would run screaming from my bedroom and torch the place, then have a nice scrub with a high pressure hose and a brillo pad.....what? I love nature, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:05 pm 

<g>

Interesting. I can not tell you why I assumed these things which had given me grief in the form of tiny itchy red specs were in my mattress. Possibly because they prefer sandy loam rather than the black clay in my yard…?

The Laws of Ecology: