It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Break in Protocol
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:31 am 

Hi All.

Forwarning that I probably broke protocol and already posted a question in one of the other groups before formally introducing myself (feel free to help me out -- it's about neem oil and Garrett Juice).

My name is Chris Hamel. I live in Keller, TX, which is a suburb north of Fort Worth. I am a novice gardener, at best, and have a small raised plot in my small back yard. All told, it measures 4' x 22', and a 2 1/2' x 6' section in the middle of that is a compost pile, so I don't actually have 88 square feet of gardening space.

I am 34 years old with a wife and four little ones (6, 4, 3, and 1). The kids are all becoming increasingly interested in the garden. The big three have each planted seeds in little pots that we'll later transplant in the garden, and they're excited to see whose will grow the best.

I moved to Texas back in May of 2002 and started the garden almost immediately. I am doing a variation of square foot gardening, but again I'm pretty unrefined at this stuff so I'm likely not doing some things right. I had to go raised plots because my soil is hard HARD clay, and other than Bermudagrass and weeds, I don't think much grows well in it. Besides, I do like the look of the raised beds, and the bermuda needs a physical border to keep it in check. This weekend, I replaced the treated wood borders I initially used with cinder blocks. That's something I wish I could have done right the first time!

This will be my first attempt at organic gardening, and I'm pretty convinced that this is the way to go. Everything makes a lot more sense than what I was doing.

Now you all know my life story.

Regards,
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:48 am 

Welcome to the forum and the natural way, Chris. Everyone here was a novice at some point and a good many of us still are. So don't be shy about asking about anything you might have questions about. Hope to hear of and/or see the successful results of your gardening experiences!

~Dave

Post subject: Re: Break in Protocol
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:02 pm 

Howdy Chris,

We've got Protocall here?.....Not :!:

Good to have you back home in Texas and hope your family enjoys the fruits of your labor in the garden.

Has Keller Feeds gone organic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:31 pm 

Chris, I just answered on the other thread you started. Howard Garrett's book for Organic Vegetable Gardening is extremely helpful in all aspects. I have ordered his latest book, but haven't received as yet.

You will find the people on this website to always be willing to help!

-Susan

Post subject: Keller sources
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:31 am 

Welcome, brother! You have a few places in Keller that offer organic products, and Keller Feed is one of them. I was in there a couple of weeks ago and they had a pretty impressive selection. The Lowe's in Keller has organic products too. You'll find in the forum ways to get rid of that hard, hard clay and I hope you'll take that advice. You can be one of the leaders in the organic movement there. But I know there are plenty of folks in Keller who have come to the same conclusion you have: organic is the best way to go! Those little ones you are working so hard to raise don't need to be exposed to one nasty chemical...it is just not necessary. My kids have been raised without all that stuff, and they thank me all the time!

May I suggest, if you haven't joined the Dirt Doc's Groundcrew, do it just for the March issue. It's a resource for all kinds of things natural and it is just too helpful. Every year it gets more comprehensive and this year's is really good. Two Green thumbs up!

Kathe :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:13 pm 

Hmm... I guess that answers the question about Keller feed. I live less than a mile from it and never ventured inside. I guess I will check it out now.

As far as the clay, I'm hoping that since my garden is above ground, I have solved that issue. Most of what's in there is now is compost, and the plants seem to grow well. My biggest issue thus far has been cuke bettles, which I hope I can combat this year.

A neighbor loaned me Mr. Garrett's book (Texas Organic Vegetable Gardening), and I liked it so much I went online and bought myself a copy.

Thanks to all for the welcomes!

Chris