It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:00 pm 

Hello,

I planted a Southern Magnolia in my yard last weekend following Howard Garrett's advice (wide ugly hole, only native soil backfill, settle with water, one inch of compost on top, three inches of mulch). After some pretty windy days the tree is now leaning noticeably (maybe 15 degrees off of straight), and the rootball is pretty loose in the hole. (If I nudge the tree back toward straight, you see the mulch over the rootball rise and separate.)

What do I do to fix this? Should I dig down and push some more soil under the rootball on the side its leaning toward? Should I scrape back the mulch and try to re-settle the soil around the ball? Should I dig the whole thing up and start over? Or do I break the rules and try tamping the soil in more firmly to get it to support the tree better? Or do I use a stake until the roots have a chance to get a grip on the soil?

--Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:56 pm 

At the Arlington show, Howard showed us some new tree stakes. they look like hugh staples. He said you pound one leg into the root ball and the other into the soil around the ball. You pound them in below the ground and let them rust. He said they are made just for what you described. I believe he said it will take 2 or 3 stakes per tree, depending on the root ball size. He didn't say where to purchase them.. Maybe someone will post a place to buy them. He showed us one and it was about 12 inches high and 12 inches wide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:33 pm 

Can you just push the tree back to upright? We have planted dozens of trees in the past few years (large cemetery project) and some of them did the same thing. We'd just go out and straighten by hand. It won't take long and the tree will take hold.

By the way, despite being fairly versed in the Howard Garrett tree planting rules we covered up many of those tree's flair with too much mulch.

Interesting story time: Last spring we had a 1+ inch caliper redbud growing in a chain link fence. We rebuilt the fence around the redbud to. The next day the tree was laying on the ground because it couldn't hold its own without the fence's support. We put one rope strand around the trunk and loosely tied it to the nearby fence. In only a few months the tree no longer needed the rope. (We left it in place just in case REALLY strong winds might push it over.) I'm always amazed how fast trees take care of themselves, yet they don't seem to change appearance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:01 am 

I can push the tree back to upright, but when I let go it leans again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:53 pm 

Huh :?

Ok if I were you I'd put in a T-post the opposite side from the lean about two feet away and secure with a thick rope around the trunk. I'd bet the tree will hold its own by the end of spring.

Sometimes securing a tree upright is needed. Just err on the side of just enough to keep it upright. Don't bind it up. Sorta training wheels.

Just an idea never tried before. What about taking a piece of rebar and securing the root ball in the surrounding ground that way?

Sorta the ground staple idea...

Good luck!

Post subject: Tree secure
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:32 pm 

I'd make my own tree staples from re-bar. You can buy 4 foot lengths from your local hardware store. Use a torch to heat the area where you want to bend & make your own staples. After installing staples, smooth out the soil and water the soil throughly to remove air pockets. I would use some compost tea or Garrett Juice to water with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:29 pm 

KHWOZ
Great idea about the rebar staples. I bet they would work good, also cheaper then buying the tree staples that Howard has mentioned. BTW, does anyone know where they can be purchasesd and how much they cost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:30 am 

The only time I stake a tree is when it's newly planted and high-wind weather will be around for a while. Particularly if the tree has plenty of top growth that will catch the wind.

Those staple stakes sound like a good solution, btw.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:13 am 

I had a leaning tree last year, and Zipper gave me great advice that worked.

see link: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

Basically, he suggested using panty hose instead of rope, it has more give, and doesn't burn the tree bark.

And using the t-posts that Pamzilla mentioned.

I did it. It worked great. The oak now stands on its own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:59 am 

Thanks for the great ideas on correcting the leaning until the tree has a chance to spread its roots out.

Next question: Once I secure the tree against the wind, how do I fix the problem of the gap around the rootball? (The wind set up a rocking motion that has formed a small gap on either side.) Should I mix up the soil a bit to get it to resettle? Or will it take care of itself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:08 am 

Sure go ahead and break up the soil a bit. If you really think you need to, find some extra dirt just like what you planted the tree in to help fill.

Just don't fill in with any goodies like compost. The tree roots will be attracted to it and won't want to spread out into the soil. Like giving kids ice cream before broccoli.

Best of luck! :wink: