It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mushroom Compost
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:01 pm 

I'd like some info on mushroom compost. What's in it? How should it be used? Are the nutrients balanced? Thanks, Linda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:20 pm 

I can not answer all your questions, but I will tell you my experience.
I purchased some mushroom compost a few months ago from one of the “big box” chain retailers. The results were not bad but not that impressive, either. The brand I am more impressed with is “Rabbit Hill Farm”. I bought it at Redenta’s, but you can get it at North Haven Gardens and Green Mama’s and lots of other places.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:26 am 

I don't know where you live but on I35 in Burleson there is a guy who sells mushroom compost with lava sand and things like that already in it. He will deliver it or fill your truck or containers and this stuff is great...I think it is called pro mix or something it is at concrete to go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:29 pm 

Each mushroom growing facility has its own recipe so you really need to ask the grower.
Most mushroom compost is pasteurized at about 140 degrees to kill any surface disease-causing organisms and pests, which is necessary for mushroom growth.
A crop continues to be harvested for three to four weeks before the bed is exhausted.
After every planting cycle, the compost is removed because it is "used up," by the growing mushrooms. But it still has plenty left for gardeners and landscapers. It is sold to nurseries, landscape supply firms and general contractors.
I like it because the inputs are consistant vs some compost which is whatever the processor can find. However, the soluble salts and other nutrients in fresh, undiluted mushroom compost, are often too concentrated for germinating seeds and young plants.
I think the best results are obtained when it is mixed to amend native soil.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:24 pm 

I have purchased several truck loads of mushroom compost and worked them into my garden in the early spring and last year I harvested more tomatoes, squash & cucumbers than I could give away. I had a whole dump truck (9 yds)load delivered this year and have started to work it into my garden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:25 pm 

norman wrote:
I have purchased several truck loads of mushroom compost and worked them into my garden in the early spring and last year I harvested more tomatoes, squash & cucumbers than I could give away...

Great for you! :D What brand may I ask?

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:20 am 

I buy it from Monterry Mushroom plant in Madisonville, TX. They have a 2 for 1 sale each year. This year I bought a whole 9 yds and had them deliver it for only $86. what a deal!! :lol:

Post subject: Mushroom Compost
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:33 pm 

Last year I attended a rose seminar at Kings Creek Gardens and they highly recommended a product they called "mushroom soil". They recommended I use 2 bags for each rose plant. Does anyone know about this product and how it might differ from mushroom compost?

Last winter I dug up 3 Marie Pavie plants which had been planted two years previously in a bed that had been highly ammended using Howard's recommendations. I then replanted the roses using the mushroom soil and some decomposed granite and alfalfa meal. The roses have thrived. They have darker foliage and less black spot than they had in the 2 previous years.

I went out on the web looking for mushroom soil, and I found references from the northeastern US regarding vegetable crop production which were positively effusive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:19 am 

I am not sure about this product. However, although King's Creek Gardens is now a Redenta's, it is my understanding that Vicky Thaxton is still there. She is an expert on roses and is known as "the rose queen". She could answer your question, I'm sure.

The Laws of Ecology: