It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:01 pm 

I'm debating on buying a couple of 20 lb bags of regular bone meal for approx. $6.00/bag from a local farm feed store. I know it mainly contains calcium and phosphorus. (6-11-0). I mostly have been using it for my heavy flowering vegetables and flowers.

I've been reading from various authors from the "Acres USA" magazine that there is a growing shortage on the supply of rock phosphate in the USA from areas like Florida. I can't even find it in bulk in my area!

If I use a compost, heavy in horse manure/sawdust and fresh salmon and grouper fish scraps from the local equine clinic and seafood market, then use corn meal in all my teas, and use corn meal as an extra soil amendment around certain flowering plants. Ain't that really enough P and K for all these plants?

Also if I use more molasses or other sugary, or corn syrup products in special teas as a soil/folar drench around these flowering plants, won't this release more available P and K from the existing organic matter in the soil, or in the tea for flowering plants?

Then last but not least, if I lower the tea pH, by adding a few tblsp of vinegar per gallon of any of my special teas, won't the acidic teas increase flowering and fruiting, while more alkalinic teas are best for more foliage growth?

If all this is true, I don't think I want to invest in bone meal or rock phosphate for anything this coming year.

Am I thinking correctly?
Any comments?

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:42 pm 

I think you are right on target. I'd pass on the bone meal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:19 am 

Thanks, HG!

Happy Gardening!

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton