PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:11 am 

ANALYSIS OF 100 kg OF NEEM SEED CAKE

Contents Amt in Kgs
Nitrogen 3.56
Phosphorous 0.83
Potassium 1.67
Calcium 0.77
Magnesium 0.75

I was thinking this would make a good organic fertilizer and it has the positive effect so I hear of repelling pest.

Feed back please on if this would be a good program?
I think some times the neem cake is also blended with urea to boost the nitrogen. I have seen urea in other organic fertilizers. Pro's and cons of urea in organics.

here is what I read on a web site: Results from several field experiments show that neem cake coating of prilled urea increased nitrogen uptake by 4.5 to 19.4%. Application of Nimin-coated urea (1 part Nimin: 100 parts urea, wt/wt) reduced losses of fertiliser N through leaching and denitrification by 30-35% and increased yields in treated crops by up to 25%

Thanks
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:17 am 

Except for the urea booster it sounds great. Any ground up seed is a great organic fertilizer. There are better ones for nitrogen if you're interested. Ask at your local feed store for soy meal or linseed (flax) meal. Cottonseed meal is excellent, too. These are all much better than my staples of corn meal and alfalfa meal/pellets. I just can't get them at a reasonable price (under $10 per 50-pound bag) in my area.

Post subject: Urea
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:50 pm 

I have seen Urea in other "organic" fertilizers and I guess it is something to avoid but I am not sure of why? It is an organic product.

I guess however the Neem cake would be good then provided it could be found at a reasonable cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:30 am 

The urea you see in true organic products is good stuff. Unfortunately you will probably never see it in a true organic product because it is way too expensive to harvest all that urine.

The urea you see in most all the products out there is man-made. It is the same chemical structure but different process. That is the only reason it is not organic. The only problem I know of with it is that it can be hot on the soil and burn it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:03 am 

[quote="Dchall_San_Antonio"]soy meal or linseed (flax) meal Cottonseed meal is excellent, too. These are all much better than my staples of corn meal and alfalfa meal/pellets. I just can't get them at a reasonable price (under $10 per 50-pound bag) in my area.[/quote]

This seems like a much lower price than I see in Gardening centers. At least for organic ferilizers. Is this a bulk price of some sort or am I shoping in the wrong places. I typically see something like $15 for a 40 pound bag which is will fertize 2000 SQ Ft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:39 pm 

I was saying that I want to find it for under $10 per bag, but I can't. It's more like a dollar per pound. I want less than $0.20 per pound. That benchmark cost is set by the cost of corn meal at several feed stores nearby me.