It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Me Too!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:04 pm 

:D 8) :lol:
Well, they say three's a charm so let me add to the comments of my two amigos and say to one and all that if you have the desire to meet and share ideas and commune with people who are of like mind, this is a great way to accomplish that goal. Doing good works is a gift that returns 100% for every 10% you contribute.

The trip to Malone was terrific! I never had so much fun being outside all day in the drizzle and wind! It was well worth the time, effort and energy we gave and the opportunity to get to know Nadine and Gar better was tremendous. The truest gift is sharing what you receive and we want to share more good times and good works with more people who truly believe in the Natural Way. Please contact one of us if you are interested in coming along on the next trip. We PROMISE you will have a great time!

Looking forward to seeing you soon,
Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:35 am 

Well Kathe, Greg aka Gar, Pam aka Pamzilla, her husband Cliff, daughter Agatha , and I met after the Arlington Organic Gardening Show with Howard Garrett and decided Saturday, April the 3rd will be the date we go back to the cemetery in Malone to check up on the progress and spread some more organic ammendments. Anyone who would like to contribute man power or tax deductable donation may contact Pam at her email address (on her website) http://krumvieda.com/ or through a pm (private message). People who would like to join us may contact me via private message. We have several more people interested :D which is exciting because we sure have a great time!

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject: PLENTY OF TIME TO PLAN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:49 am 

Okay, people! We have five weeks to plan this! That sounds like a lot but it will go by fast! Spring break is coming and the time will fly by! Anyone and everyone who is interested, contact Organic1, Gar, Pamzilla or me and we will include you in our plans.

Come join us for a lovely trip to the country! Saturday, April 3rd!!!!!!!

Kathe :D 8) 8) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:48 pm 

What fun we will have :!: If you like a great natural high, this is the thing for you. :D I am so looking forward to this. There is a lot to be said for the personal satisfaction one feels when doing that which is good, that which benefits the world. 8) The camaraderie, which I am convinced, can not help but develop between those with who you share missions, is a lasting warm kinship kind of feeling. :wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:10 pm 

Things are moving right along...

I met with the ladies aid group last Sunday and they are officially on board with participating on April 3. We are going to focus on these objectives.

-One tree planting
-Installing shrub/landscaping
-Improving cemetery
-Fire ant control

For fire ant control we are working on using Agrispon/cornmeal and liquid molasses. Anyone have any ideas how to apply liquid molasses on a large scale 5+ acres? I thought we might borrow a church member's farm equipment but some concerns arose like, what about farming residue and will molasses gum up the equipment. Has anyone done this on a large scale? Any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:50 pm 

Pam,
Sounds like we will have many hands to make light work! Great!
REgarding the concern about applying molasses, we can rinse out the sprayer before hand to detox it and the molasses is diluted to a ratio of 1 gallon per acre so it's pretty diluted at application and won't gum up the sprayer. We will also clean it out after we are done.

I'm guessing we are going to focus on perennials, etc.? Are you checking on the types so they are low maintenance and won't get too big for the space where they will be planted? Do you plan on providing a list so people can choose plants to donate or are the materials/plants coming from the church members? I have done a lot of school garden improvement with donations from other people's gardens. Maybe we can do that here also. I can bring some plants if you will let me know what you decide on.

For my part, I can donate a gallon of molasses and will bring 2-3 gallons of 20% vinegar to work on taking out weeds. It will also be a good opportunity for folks to see how fast that solution can work. I can also bring two other volunteers with me...my nephew and my twin sister!

Keep in touch!
Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:49 pm 

In an announcement to the congregation I am asking for plants and giving them Sam's Nursery's number. I was figuring on bringing some books that day so if we aren't sure about something we can look it up. I don't have a problem with ANY donations of plants. The worst that can happen is that they don't survive.

Side of church are small boxwoods with gaps. Would like to fill. Thursday I will take notes on areas that need attention.

And yes perennials are good. Also, Sam's will sell us one gallon shrubs for $5. On my list of potentials are nandinas, texas sage, burford hollies (although some of mine died from lack of water), red yucca, hypericum, and barberry as a possible barrier.

Post subject: Trees
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:50 pm 

Do you need some trees? I can donate some if you would like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:41 pm 

What do you have? How big? What containers?

Thank you for offering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:33 pm 

GWBartek
If you are not busy that Saturday, maybe you can drive over, with the trees and help us plant them. We should would like the extra help and also we learn so much from Kathe and Nadine. They are great mentors. I bet Pamzilla, and her family, Kathe, and Nadine would love to meet you in person. I know I should would. It is nice being able to put a face to who you have been corresponding with on this great forum.
Thank you for donating the trees to the cementary.
Hope to see you that Saturday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:58 am 

Well let me explain why I have trees first. I work at Warren Laboratories in Abbott, Texas, between Hillsboro and Waco. We make products from aloe vera known as 'George's Aloe'. We sell our products in health food stores mostly. Right now we are in the process of building our new retail center 'Roadrunner Station' here next to the plant (Warren Labs) by I-35 in Abbott. We will be selling our aloe products and plants and gardening/country/nature gifts. We will have a small deli with a glassed-in patio and fireplace overlooking a pond with nature trails, greenhouse, and playground. I am the horticulturalist for Warren Labs/Roadrunner Station. Someone that was here before me ordered like 1,700 bareroot trees for some reason (Istill don't know why) and once I got here they were my responsibility. Since June of last year, we only had about 700 that lived. So sad. So management doesn't want me to plant any here because 1. we already have plenty of trees, and 2. we want to plant bigger trees to look more established around our new retail center. So, I am trying to sell the trees for $3.00 each. But since I saw what ya'll were doing, I thought it would be good to donate some. Here is a list of the ones we have: Chinquapin Oak, Green Ash, Laurel Oak, Willow Oak, Nuttall Oak, Overcup Oak, Sawtooth Oak, Southern Red Oak and Water Oak.
I would love to come out and help on April 3, but I am going to be involved in a six week Texas Master Naturalist class every Saturday til May.
So if someone would like to come and pick up the trees, that would be great!
Oh, let me tell you about the trees. They are in 3-5 gallon pots, but they are pretty small. They aren't even an inch in diameter. Once in the ground, they are probably around 3 feet tall. So I didn't know if ya'll would want them or not since they are so small, but I figured I would give it a shot.
And if you know of anyone that wants to buy some, I am selling them like this:
1-24 trees $3.00 each
25-49 trees $2.00 each
50+ trees $1.00 each
Hope this helps! Let me know if you ahve any questions.
My e-mail is gwbartek@yahoo.com and my phone number here at work is 1-800-232-2563 ext. 214 Gena Bartek
We are open M-F 8-5 here at Warren Labs.
If you can't get me at that time, you can call me at home at 254-829-3148 or on my cell 254-718-3489. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:31 am 

Anyone wanting to get in touch with me until next Wednesday should PM me because I can't check my email on the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:14 pm 

Thank God for bad weather men! It was a beautiful day for making improvements to the church and cemetery. We are so grateful to you all. Nadine and Greg did a great job helping our trees. Kathe was indespensable with her knowledge of useful plants. Thanks also to Kathe's neice and nephew. Everyone worked hard but it just didn't feel much like work.

We would love to come up to the Metroplex and garden with everyone. Surely we can get together before the next garden show!

God's blessings to you all! Happy Easter!!