It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:41 am 

I have a big front yard mess on my hands. The lawn (Bermuda grass) has a heavy layer of some weed (looks like an herb - with very small leaves). This weed is green. So, needless to say I have the greenest lawn in my neighborhood (in Plano) this winter. Since CGM can't be used without clearing out the weeds, I sprayed 20% vinegar on the weeds this last weekend (it is almost impossible to pluck them by hand). I am sure the vinegar would kill some grass too. My reasoning is that once this weed dies, I would be able to apply CGM by Feb 15. Need to ask the participants in this forum a few questions:
1) How effective is vinegar in killing weeds (as compared to the chemical sprays)?
2) How good is my above logic & will I be able to have a lawn devoid of weeds after applying CGM?
3) Should I apply anything else beside CGM as fertilizer....I've read the name of 'molasses' being thrown around a bit in this forum. Is that necessary too?

As a newbie to organic gardening, I would like to get all the help I can get from the gurus in this excellent forum. Regards.

Post subject: lawn care and vinegar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:46 pm 

2% vinegar is wonderful but I never used it in winter, I used it in late spring when we had a prediciton of hot weather. Sprayed in AM and weeds dead or wilting in PM.
Corn Gluten Meal is herbicide to kill germinating weed seeds and then becomes fertilizer after that job is done.
Bermuda should come back in late spring when it starts to grow.
Robert D Bard