It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:04 pm 

Is it recomendable to rotate corn gluten meal, bioform, and sustain as fertalizers for my lawn through the year, or should I stick to just one brand for the entire year of treatments?

Also, what are the brands of fertalizers that are available and 100% organic besides the ones that I listed? I get the impression that rotating different fertalizers will give my lawn an advantage because each brand has something a little bit different that the other brands might not have. This is just my impression though.

Thanks for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:45 am 

It is my understanding that the CGM should be applied twice a year as a pre-emergent weed control. The first application should be applied mid to late Feb. The second application should be applied late Sept. or early Oct.

Horticultural corn meal, alfalfa pellets, Texas Tea, the various Green Sense products are just a few of the organic fertilizers that can be applied in April/June. The sticky's at the top of this forum have much more information on this subject. I hope this helps.

Post subject: Rotation
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:08 am 

I would think rotaton would work well to provide a more broad range of nutrients and biological activity however if something is working well for you then why change.

The Corn Gluten Meal of course provides very distinct results as discussed and it is getting close to time for the first application.

Post subject: corn meals
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:33 pm 

I'm repeating what other people have said but I feel it needs repeating. Corn Gluten Meal will keep seeds from germinating. This includes weeds & desirable plants. It will not harm growing plants! Horticultural Corn Meal is used mainly for fungal problems (corrective & preventive). Both will build the soil and are beneficial. The Corn Gluten Meal is an excellent fertilizer also.

Post subject: CGM
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:37 am 

Does this mean that CGM will not be effective if weeds are already present in the lawn?

Post subject: Re: CGM
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:28 am 

Pandu wrote:
Does this mean that CGM will not be effective if weeds are already present in the lawn?

If weed plants are present, applying CGM likely will act as a fertilizer for them. It acts to suppress the germination of seeds (probably smaller seeds), so it generally does not suppress existing growing plants or plants that propagate by rhizomes or stolons.

Post subject: Re: CGM
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:12 pm 

Pandu wrote:

Just like it does a great job on grass, due to its nitrogen content, CGM will fertilize the sprouted weeds too!

Get it out before late Feb to control the summer weeds. And use the powdered, rather than granulated form, as it dissolves much quicker, thus increasing its efficacy.

Good luck! :wink: