It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:02 am 

Yesterday I was driving my pickup truck home down an old country road, when I spotted something small and white on the side of the road. When I got close to it, I noticed it was a freshly, dead, little white chicken. It was about 10" in length, no strange cuts or markings on it, a little fresh red blood on the side of one of its wings, no bad stinky smells yet, no worms, no flies yet. I live about 10 miles from a big Tysons chicken farm. Plus some of my farming neighbors have some white chickens in their yards. I assume this poor fowl, was hit by a car recently, or just fell off the chicken truck in the middle of transit.

I had to make a decision. Should I or shouildn't I? I know it's crazy and wrong! But I can't stand it! I must try an experiment in order to satisfy by crazy zealous for knowledge! I decided to put my rubber gloves on, toss the dead chicken on the back of my pickup truck, and take him home.

I didn't want to put him in my major compost stockpiles. No, that's too dangerous and obvious! Thoses piles are for my customers and for my major garden needs. I can't do that! I decided to make a separate stockpile, over a cubic yard in size, to bury this guy. I covered him up in about 2 feet of undone compost and sawdust and leaves. Now I wait a week or two, to see if he's completely digested. It's just an experient to soothe my curious mind about it, right? Am I insane?

I have now officially crossed over from compost wacko to ultra compost wacko! I have composted my first road kill! I need help fast!!!

To all my composting friends out there, please forgive me for I have sinned... (LOL)

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:27 am 

OK Cap'n, I've made up my mind. I am leaving my earthly remains to you to compost at will :lol: (I think you'll need a bigger pile though)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:58 pm 

Captain, you're a little leaguer. I heard Howard talk about a place he visited where they compost dead cattle and hogs. It was down to bones in several weeks. You do not sin alone.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:30 pm 

captain,you must have missed the episode of "dirty jobs" (i think it was on the discovery channel) where they pick up deer off the roadways & compost them! the way i see it you're doing a great public service & saving taxpayer $.now where did i put that rabbit....revg62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:00 pm 

Cap'n, me thinks you crossed over that line a loooong time ago. At this point, no other choice but to continue all engines full ahead. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:22 pm 

I agree with 'Mr. Clean'. Aye Aye Captain. Full speed ahead. I believe you are past the point of no return. Please let us know how long it takes for the chicken to completely decompose. Like the Dirt Doctor says: "You are in charge of the research".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:20 am 

Wow! Guess what everybody? I planted the little white chicken roadkill in my hot compost pile late Friday afternoon. It's now Tuesday morning. I found almost no flesh, no feathers, and no bones, and no stinky smells! That's almost 4 days! Incredible!

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:59 am 

I performed a similar experiment with a squirrel. Rather than checking three days later, I was kind of scared so I waited about two weeks before checking the pile. I found absolutely no remains at all. I know that feathers have a high amount of nitrogen, but I'm not sure about squirrel fur. I liberally added molasses and bloodmeal around the carcass before covering it up with shredded leaves.

My only mistake was telling my friends and family what I had done. I was hoping to use the experiment to explain to the kids how composting and recycling can work wonders, but they kind of shrugged me off as being too weird. Heh heh.

Those previous entries about composting cows and deer are pretty wild. Those must be major undertakings.

Last edited by Uvalde Gardener on Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:48 am 

According to this link,

http://www.primalseeds.org/npk.htm

hair has a lot of nitrogen in it. Hair is nothing but protein, so it should have lots of nitrogen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:35 pm 

Every time I visit my salon, the artist that does my hair has a big bag of previous clippings for me! Do you know of anyone else who walks out of a salon with a "doggy bag"? :lol:

I found a dead rat in our garage. He went into the pile just 2 days ago. I haven't checked on him as I am in no position to go outside right now. (I've a fever, but not due to the rat). My blessed husband- who wants nothing at all to do with my compost pile- graciously put him in there for me! What a good man!

If I had my druthers, I would not be cremated, buried or any such wasteful thing. :shock: Just chop my shell of a body up and put me in the compost pile. :D Besides, the human body without the soul is just garbage. (I took that line from "Catch-22").

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:52 pm 

It's interesting that a couple people have mentioned that they would like to be buried in a compost pile! I thought I was the only one that thought about that every now and then. I guess I'm not as weird as I thought!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:55 pm 

sembritsky-
Yes, you are weird. You just found a couple of people who are just as weird as you. ; )
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:11 pm 

sembritzky,
Maybe you should look into being on Fear Factor. :) Might win a nice prize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:16 pm 

Hrmmm.. composting people who've passed on. Soylent Green anyone?

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:23 pm 

What an awesome movie. This one made quite an impression on me :shock: in a number of ways.

However, (and realizing that it is most probable that you 8) jest) I would wish for more processing than that. Say, after the earthworms and microbes make ready for plant life to assimilate...

Then again, …Animal crackers!
:wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach