It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 4 oclocks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:52 am 

I have 4oclocks growing by my drive and want to save seeds for next spring. The seeds we picked seem to be moulding.My question is how do i store the seeds for winter. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:06 pm 

Try putting them on wax paper until they are completely dry. This works for me. Usually they are dry in 3 - 4 days. Plus they don't stick to the wax paper like they do to newspaper. If they are not completely dry, they will mold. When dry, I store mine in labeled film canisters.

Post subject: re: 4 o' clocks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:43 am 

The tops of these plants will die back in winter, but generally the root will survive and resprout next spring. The roots look somewhat like sweet potatoes and I have seen them get almost as big as a basketball after several years! You may not need the seeds, as these plants are quite hardy. I am trying to get rid of them in one area and it has been a challenge. I love the colorful flowers and especially the fragrance in the evening though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:02 pm 

I have 4 o'clocks and they get morning sun and afternoon shade and they have taken over my flower bed. The will come back every year, or at least mine do. Mine come from a very old line, that was my great grandmothers. I transplanted them 2 years ago, and they have come back both years and she had her for many many years.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:31 am 

I have found the best way to store seeds, as well as bulbs, is to keep them in a fine sawdust. The saw dust will dry and protect them, and doesn't hurt when it gets planted with them it seems. Just make sure that you leave the container open long enough for everything to dry well since even saw dust can get moldy. :roll: