It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sqaure-foot Gardening
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:02 pm 

I am thinking about trying this method, incorporating Howard's organic techniques and soil mixture. Has anyone else tried?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:12 pm 

Please explain the 'square-foot-gardening'.
Are you gona try to garden in only a one-square-foot-area? Can't grow much in that small area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:15 pm 

I agree. Watermelons for example need at least a 3-6 feet radius, even in the richest organic soil for good horizontal root growth. Tomatoes need at least a 2-3 feet radius too.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:40 am 

Hi there! I finally found a question that I can answer. I copied this: "Square Foot Gardening is a uniquely simplified method of gardening that allows you to grow 100% of the harvest in only 20% of the space -- AND -- without all the hard work and drudgery of single row gardening." from this website: http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

This looks really interesting to me, what do ya'll think?
Christina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:10 am 

Square foot gardening is basically a customized version of companion planting. I believe every natural gardener should incorporate as much companion planting ideas as possible, throughout their garden bed designs.

I always plant beans or some squash family crops around my sweet corn. I always plant something like basil or beans or cucumbers around my tomatoes. I'm still trying to find something that I like to companion plant around my watermelon beds this coming summer.

If you can't think of any creative ideas for edible companion plants, you can always grow any low growing legume cover crops around your main crops. If not anything else, it will build the soil and attract beneficials. That's really important! (LOL)

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:03 pm 

I started out following a few sfg guidelines that have been real helpful. My raised beds are only 4'wide (but much longer), which allows me to work in them w/out ever having to step on the soil. I add compost from my pile whenever I plant new crops. I use a shovel to work it in, so I don't need a tiller. I companion plant in areas w/out straight rows--but I never use the grid system--seems like too much work. Rotate crops as needed, etc. There's many good sfg ideas, just be sure to adapt them if you need to.

Post subject: Square Foot Gardening
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:54 pm 

Companion plant for watermelon: OKRA! They both love the hot weather and okra grows up and up and has the most beautiful flowers! Besides, there isn't much I love better than fried or boiled okra and it is so good! I don't know of any reason this wouldn't work, and it was my first reaction, so how about that?

And don't forget drarf marigolds, thyme, oregano and creeping rosemary & lavender for the low growing areas with your taller plants. Yum!

Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:59 am 

Thanks Kathe! I never thought about okra! Those are all super companion planting ideas. I'm definitely going to try that this summer.

William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:47 pm 

Speaking of companion planting - does anyone know of some good companion plants for banana plants? I have two in fairly large containers that could use some small pretties for now and then some large ones for when we get to our new house and they can be put in the ground.

Christina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:50 am 

Thanks for the info. SFG is about companion planting but it more about getting getting more out of less. Harvest the lettuce, immediately plant something else. I am going to plant 2 4x4 boxes, but I don't like the author's soil recommendation. I think I am going to try Howard's potting soil mix. More info on the process at www.sqarefootgardening.com.

I will plant tomatoes and cucumbers, but probably not watermelon. Onions, beans, radish, and some other greens, like Swiss chard, kale, etc. Just mapping out now.

Thanks for all of the info on companion plants! I would like to incorporate some of that into my plan