It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:13 pm 

I need at least 1000 quercus virgiana live oak acorns and also need to know when I should plant them in pots? Thanks for any help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:17 pm 

When you get the acorns, put them in water and make sure they do not float. Discard all the ones that float because they will not grow. I acquired a bunch of acorns from my Mothers oak trees and planted about half of them. Not one grew. After reading about the water trick, on this forum, I put the remaining in water and not one sank to the bottom. I smashed and added them to the compost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:39 pm 

Thanks for that info. Does anyone Know where I can get live oak acorns and redoak acorns? I need 1000 of each as I am going to start an organic tree farm.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:59 am 

would that also work for Bur Oak acorns?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:29 am 

Yes, dustoff79

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:33 pm 

I'm no expert by any means, just a tinkerer I guess, but here is something I tried. I have a clump of banana trees growing in my living room in a 30" pot. There is a lot of potting medium around the tree that I throw seeds in on occasion to get them sprouted early. As an experiment I put in a few burr oak acorns. Some whole and a couple I shelled to reveal the two peanut like halves. I carefully held them together and pressed all half way into the soil. The two that I shelled have sprouted and to date the others have not. They were planted five weeks ago. Just my two cents worth.
I will re-pot them this week then plant them outside in the spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:13 pm 

Looking for acorns? Most acorns on the ground right now have either dried out to the point that they will not pass the water test previously discussed or they will have weavels. May be able to find some where leaves have fallen on top of them and they are still viable. Otherwise you will have to find a seedsman. Try greenbeam.com or growit.com. There are sometimes seedsmen advertising in "Nursery Production and Management", a professional nursery magazine. Acorns can be planted as soon as harvested or stored in moist sand or saw dust in a refrigerator for a while. Always plant the acorn on it's side. Cover with soil no more than the width of the acorn. In the above sources, you can also find sources of tree liners or baby trees started this season. Will be about 12-24" inches when shipped and cost about .95/each. Hope I've helped.

Post subject: acorns
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:20 am 

Thanks for the tips as now I have over 3000 viable acorns after doing my water test to see what would sink and what would float