It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: BREWING TEA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:48 am 

Does anyone know where I can get a glass tea kettle like Howard discusses? Recommendations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:08 am 

If you can't find them in stores or specialty cooking places, such as the Viking centers, wherever in the world you are located, you can try searching the Web; here's one example:

http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/?PID=344 ... C=standard

They also seem to be fairly common on eBay.

Crate and Barrel has an interesting looking porcelain pot and a glass setup at:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/itemgroups/2312_0.asp

and Sur La Table carries an electric Capresso glass tea maker. You might even find an unusual pyrex beaker/glassware in a chemistry lab supply place that piques your interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:32 am 

The Republic of Tea also has a nice selection of tea pots, several of them glass.

An example:

http://www.republicoftea.com/templates/ ... ?navID=114

This is one of my favorite companies, and the best I've found for tea.

Quote:
Through tasting the joys of existence in a new way - Sip by sip rather than gulp by gulp, one could discover calm and contentment, appreciate the perfection, the harmony, the natural serenity and the true aesthetic that exists in every moment and in every natural thing. Putting up no resistance, one would experience boundless imagination and aspire toward a peaceful and fulfilling lifestyle. Through a simple cup of tea one can realize the supreme true reality of TeaMind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:27 am 

I've been informed that Whole Foods sells at least one type of glass tea pot (at least the one store of which I was told stocks it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 2:37 pm 

Haven't heard Howard's discussions on tea, but here is my favorite way. Got a my wife's discarded 4 cup coffee maker (2 cup will work). Cleaned it up and out to get rid of coffee taste and smell. Easier to start with new one. Put filter, tea and water. Turned on and that's it. 1 to 4 cups. This one was plastic with a glass pot, but I have seen stainless if plastic turns you off. Easy cleanup, just grab up the filter and throw it away. I have also run a second batch of water through the same tea for another weaker batch. Still good,but weaker. Republic makes several good loose teas. My favorites are Ginger Peach and Mango Celyon. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:00 pm 

All the Redenta's garden centers sell the same pot Howard uses.
Tony M

Post subject: Ginko tea
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:43 am 

We are fortunate to have a beautiful Ginko tree but have no clue how to brew tea from it. Once read that you should crush a few leaves & add boiling H2O, steep & drink...that produced clear hot H2O, no taste, no color, & we felt that this just wasn't right. Maybe the fall leaves need to be saved & dried for use?
Plano Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:23 pm 

I bought my last teapot (stainless steel with a filter that fits into it) in a Japanese hardware variety store in the International District in Seattle. I wanted something that would hold up and the kids couldn't chip. I have a series of broken (now mended and only good for display on top of my cupboards) teapots. But those Asian shops will have a variety of fine porcelain pots at prices probably considerably more reasonable than you'll find in a garden center.